Downgrading from e92 M3, 420/430/A6 etc

Soldato
Maybe I'm just itching for a change. It is tempting to hold onto the M3, but I'm not sure I buy the appreciation argument anytime soon at least. I'll probably take a ~£5-6k depreciation hit for 2 years of ownership, which for a car like that doesn't seem that bad at all. I also rarely get the chance to use the power, so paying for petrol, tax, insurance, warranty etc when I'd probably get more enjoyment out of something less powerful but newer, is getting a bit tiring.

Maybe it'll be better to keep it until the spring/summer and maybe get more money than now, but a 4 series or A6 is very tempting right now...
Commute a different way, i manage to hit the limiter at least once each way from/to work. I agree VED is annoyingly high though.

Caporegime
Commute a different way, i manage to hit the limiter at least once each way from/to work. I agree VED is annoyingly high though.
I suppose this depends on if your commute is 1/2mile or 50? :D

Metaphor hitting the limiter or literal? - your usually past peak power, certainly torque - not to mention I killed a car years back by redlining it once too often... :o

Associate
Maybe I should be thinking about Diesels more then. Better economy but with the power would be nice. Part of me worries the tide is turning against them, likely higher fuel costs, duty etc, but maybe that's a good few years away.
Cetainly should! There's a lot of noise and faff, but Euro 6 diesels are here to stay, and even Euro 5 aren't going to dissapear tomorrow. On the 430d that will mean earlier cars are E5, but all 435D are E6. Up the mileage a bit and you can still find a decent 435D within budget.

Caporegime
Maybe I should be thinking about Diesels more then. Better economy but with the power would be nice. Part of me worries the tide is turning against them, likely higher fuel costs, duty etc, but maybe that's a good few years away.
Diesels are going nowhere for a good while imo, if I were you I’d be more worried about going from a peach of a V8 engine to one that’ll feel pretty naff by direct comparison pretty much no matter what it is.

It’s one hell of a downgrade, and there lies the problem, it’s a downgrade, sidegrading as such isn’t so much of an issue but downgrading is always trickier imo.

Soldato
In reality that's not what happens. In reality you are driving round in a 1tr POS and it's horrible.
that is completely subjective. Some people find it quite fun. You can park your car right at the front of the car park and not care, you can go foot to the floor for 20 seconds without breaking the speed limit, you dont care about the wheels, so parking near curbs is fine too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the thoughts all. I only drive at weekends otherwise getting a daily driver would definitely be a consideration. I guess that's another reason for wanting to sell it.

I'm leaning more toward a 430D with the right options. I checked one 2014 example on the TfL Ultra Low Emissions Site and it said it was fine, but what's the best way to check whether a car is Euro5 or 6? I can't find anything definite online.

NB - the 328 M Sport above is nice but I'd like something newer for that money really.

Soldato
appreciate you are a badge snob, however take out a Superb Estate and see what you think. I felt they are just a bit nicer place to be than the Octavia and if your budget suits looks really smart on he sportline trim.

Back
Top Bottom