Downgrading sound

Soldato
Has anyone gone from separates to a soundbar. I'm getting a bit fed up of the clutter so am currently considering maybe a yamaha ysp2700. Current system is a yamaha 1073 amp, monitor audio bx2 front and bxfx rears with a mission centre and rel strata sub.
Other things lying around I can use or sell are yamaha dsp-a1 amp, pair of mission 780se, logitech z680 full set, technics stereo amp from early 90s which I still love with the 780se.
I don't think I'd miss surround sound but would miss sound that didn't have some wallop so either soundbar and sub or sub/sat system in 2.1.

Soldato
I downgraded from a pretty decent setup when I recently moved house.

Monitor Audio GS10s, and centre
KEF eggs for surround
BK Monolith sub

Tried a few soundbars (Samsung, Sonus, Bose), all sounded a bit lacking. In the end I stumbled on a Monitor Audio ASB-2. The thing is bloody huge for a sound bar, but it does mean it has a good solid weighty sound.

Its nothing compared to my old system, but the sound it produces is pretty impressive. It will tide me over until until I get my cinema room.

ybouvVB.jpg.png

jpRqkBC.jpg.png

Soldato
You can also find good deals on Denon's stuff atm.

You definitely lose separation of sound - I've found the lack of lower mids quite annoying. I've got a Playbar + Sub, and though there's plenty of weight and depth, it lacks punch. And also versatility.

So yes, there is a definite tradeoff, but with the right equipment it's not as big as you might think.

Soldato
Rather than spend your cash straight away, why don’t you try going over to a stereo system using your current kit? You could still use the sub too. Might be worth a try before shelling out on a sound bar. The 780se’s are quite compact iirc.

Soldato
OP
Rather than spend your cash straight away, why don’t you try going over to a stereo system using your current kit? You could still use the sub too. Might be worth a try before shelling out on a sound bar. The 780se’s are quite compact iirc.
I was going to try the logitech sats with the strata and amp this weekend. I have a projector too so the inputs and outputs come in handy on the yamaha

Soldato
One thing I noticed on a friend's soundbar after he moved from separates is that a lot of films now sound quite muddled, particularly the vocals.

Speech just seems a bit lost in the mix compared to his old setup. Can't remember what it was but not a cheap setup.

Soldato
OP
One thing I noticed on a friend's soundbar after he moved from separates is that a lot of films now sound quite muddled, particularly the vocals.

Speech just seems a bit lost in the mix compared to his old setup. Can't remember what it was but not a cheap setup.
This was the issue with the logitech, it lacked clarity

Soldato
I was going to try the logitech sats with the strata and amp this weekend. I have a projector too so the inputs and outputs come in handy on the yamaha

Triple check the impedance of the Logitech speakers before plugging them into the Yamaha amp. You might end up with a new setup sooner than planned if they're <4 ohm.

Are you trying to downsize or reduce the number of speakers or simplify or save cost? I don't really see the point in using the Logitech speakers in your setup unless size is the sole issue.

Man of Honour

Interested to hear how you get on with that. I know the Logitech DD/DTS kits have received a lot of attention in the past for home cinema use, but I've always thought of the satellites as near-field monitors for desktop use rather than for precision imaging in a larger space.

If size is the issue with the MA speakers but clarity is an issue with the Logitechs then have you had a look at the Monitor Audio Radius One?

The Radius speaker range is small but very high quality. Conventionally it's a centre/front stereo/rear surrounds/sub sort of system, but a few years ago they saw the trend for sound bars and produced a centre and stereo pair all in one housing. That's how the Radius One was born. You'd drive it like a 3.1 system (with the REL sub).

Soldato
OP
The goal is to just have a clutter free easy to use system (for the wife) we have another little one due in July. The TV is in an alcove on the wall and I'm a joiner so there's no problem building any unit that speakers can be hidden in.

Soldato
The goal is to just have a clutter free easy to use system (for the wife) we have another little one due in July. The TV is in an alcove on the wall and I'm a joiner so there's no problem building any unit that speakers can be hidden in.
Have done exactly this but in stages went from marantz amp with bookshelf speakers and a sub to home cinema in a box sub and sat and now to a sound bar. It's not as good but it's decent enough and with two kids most of our tv watching seems to be CBeebies forvwhich it is overkill!

Soldato
I went from a 5.1 setup of Q acoustics speakers with Denon amp to a Yamaha 2700 and tbh I think the 2700 sounds better. I’m still fascinated how it does surround that actually works.....

No regrets and far less clutter.

Soldato
OP
Richer sounds have given me a ysp 2700 to try for a week, unfortunately they didn't have the mic and I thought it might have been the same as the one on my 1073 but it's a smaller connection so not getting the surround effect but as a sound bar it sounds great

Soldato
Dropped my Yamaha 7.1 setup last year for a £200 Samsung 2.1 Soundbar and have not regretted it for 1 second.
Less clutter, less hassle and if anything I actually spend more time actually concentrating on the film / music rather than constantly messing around with different settings trying to eek out a better sound as I just accept the soundbar's limitations.

Soldato
To declutter our living room of AV kit I went for front inwall and rear ceiling speakers and relocated all the kit to under the stairs so it is totally out of view, sounds and looks great.

Soldato
OP
Going to take the soundbar back. With not having the mic to set up I can't tell if it will fill the room with sound like my 5.1 does.
Does anyone have any opinions on some small discrete speakers so I can have 4 rears

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom