Downloading Vista... again and again.... still won't run

Capodecina
Soldato
I've downloaded the Beta 2 three times now and the damn thing won't run. Whenever I enter the DVD into my drive it just sits there and shows me the ISO file in a new window. If I open the ISO up it takes me into Magic ISO and if I click setup.exe I just get a message saying the setup file is corrupt and giving me an error message. The DVD won't autorun either.

I'm using this download location

http://download.windowsvista.com/dl...inmain_beta2_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso

but have no idea what could be the problem. I can't even get to the installation process. Any idea what's happening?!

Soldato
It sounds like you're not burning the disk properly - you have probably just put the ISO on the disk as a data file. You need to use software that lets you burn the file as an image to the disk. What did you use to burn the disk?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
PinkPig said:
It sounds like you're not burning the disk properly - you have probably just put the ISO on the disk as a data file. You need to use software that lets you burn the file as an image to the disk. What did you use to burn the disk?

Aha - it was Sonic Record Now. You sound right! What program would let me put it on the DVD correctly?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
doran1801 said:
use nero or alcohol 120% they will both burn iso's just fine

Excellent, used Alcohol 120 and burned the disc with no problem and it runs fine.

However, I am having immense problems partitioning my drives. Whenever I try to create or even resize paritions using Partition Magic 8 the paritioning process starts then I just get an error message 1611 or 1811 after which my PC won't load Windows but just blue screens each time. I've run a scan disk on both drives and it's come up with nothing though at some point during the reboot process last week it said the drive had some unrecoverable errors. I'm starting to think the hard disk is damaged and I should just give up trying to partition it or install the beta.

Associate
Lysander said:
Excellent, used Alcohol 120 and burned the disc with no problem and it runs fine.

However, I am having immense problems partitioning my drives. Whenever I try to create or even resize paritions using Partition Magic 8 the paritioning process starts then I just get an error message 1611 or 1811 after which my PC won't load Windows but just blue screens each time. I've run a scan disk on both drives and it's come up with nothing though at some point during the reboot process last week it said the drive had some unrecoverable errors. I'm starting to think the hard disk is damaged and I should just give up trying to partition it or install the beta.
Are you partitioning it before or after you install Vista?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Pyrosoft said:
Are you partitioning it before or after you install Vista?

Before. It's worrying that PM8 can't even do something simple like resize the main partition though. Still, that may be the fault of the drive rather than the software since when I was using the same program to create partitions a couple of years ago it worked fine.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Pyrosoft said:
What I'd suggest is that you go here
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
and burn it to a CD, then use XFDISK (Extended FDISK) to remove the burst partition, then start again from Partition Magic.

Saying it's a hardware fault is always the last option :p

Well, the Vista Beta has already been burned to disk successfully. I can't even get into XP at the moment, it just gives me a BSOD at the boot screen. I'll try and boot from the XP disk [this worked last time] or the Vista Beta as a last resort.

How would I run XFDisk in DOS - would XP then start again fine?

Associate
XFDisk would run from the CD that you can get from that site.
This would format the entire hard drive that you are having problems with, leaving you free to boot into Partition Magic and start again from there (I assume you are using a PM boot disk rather than the windows based utility?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Pyrosoft said:
XFDisk would run from the CD that you can get from that site.
This would format the entire hard drive that you are having problems with, leaving you free to boot into Partition Magic and start again from there (I assume you are using a PM boot disk rather than the windows based utility?

Mmmm... the problem is that the only burning capability I have is on that machine and I'd need to get into XP in order to do that. Still, assuming I manage it, I'll give it a go.

It's my main PC and drive but I don't mind formatting it, it's been playing up recently anyway. And yes, it's a Window's based version of PM8 I'm afraid :( I'll try to burn that to disk too.

Associate
Boot to the XP CD and run a repair.
I'm sorry, I thought you were wanting to format it anyway.

If you do get into windows then you should have the option to create boot floppys from in PM.

Good luck to you mate, sorry I can't be of more help :)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Pyrosoft said:
Boot to the XP CD and run a repair.
I'm sorry, I thought you were wanting to format it anyway.

If you do get into windows then you should have the option to create boot floppys from in PM.

Good luck to you mate, sorry I can't be of more help :)

No no, that's fine, thanks. It's probably not worth formatting the whole drive just to run the beta. As intrigued as I am by it I don't know whether it's worth that. And I have no idea whether it'll be able to run Need For Speed stably anyway. :p

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Memphis said:
Just boot from the DVD, will launch straight into the setup.

Mmmm tried to do this yesterday but it just hung in the blue/green wallpaper screen and then restarted the PC after a couple of minutes. Funny, because when I tried to install the beta in Windows it all worked fine [I had to cancel the install before I put the key in because I was just testing it though]. However, this might be something to do with the fact that the file type system on the hard drive is listed as FAT and not NTFS [I think some partitioning software did that, no idea how]. Maybe I'll have to do a format and change it back to NTFS for the loader to work.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Oh, it was the x32 version. I'm sure it'll be fine if I try to do it IN Windows.... but I can't get into Windows at the moment. I'll try to copy a new NTLDR file from the XP installation disk to start it up.... aghhh

Back
Top Bottom