1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRAM industry likely to face oversupply in 2019

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Nelly, 2 Aug 2018.

1. Nelly

Soldato

Source

Last edited: 2 Aug 2018
  2. [email protected]

Capodecina

Cheap ram? If so I might finally upgrade.

3. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Don't worry they are already saying GDDR6 is causing issues,or a Moose contaminated the clean room,or something,so expect RAM pricing to stay high especially if you want anything around 3000MHZ and higher.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2018
  4. kitfit1

Mobster

None of the above makes a blind bit of difference to the market as it is now. It may well not make that much difference for quite a way into the future to us as overclockers. Does anyone seriously think that a newcomer to the dram market is going to come out "all guns blazing with seriously fast ram with nice tight timings" ..............i don't think so. The only thing it will do is make cheap ram, cheaper.

5. Doogles

Mobster

Honestly if they flood the market with that then at least people can get into the PC market, being able to buy RAM in 2012 for under £30 for 8GB was nuts, if you could do that now for Ryzen people could game (albeit only lightly) for under £200.

6. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

They will displace the RAM cartel from many Chinese products,meaning that they will lose more and more of the market from their biggest customer as time progresses.

7. kitfit1

Mobster

Yes, that's true. And hopefully we can all look forward to better ram when they do it.

Ryzen only benefits from ram running as fast as possible on any individuals rig. Price of it is neither here nor there....................what matters is the speed and timings. A dram newcomer to the market will be years away from being anywhere in the ballpark for that. That said, more competition in any sector is always a good thing for us because it keeps all sectors on there toes :D

8. Doogles

Mobster

If you can't afford a build with 2x8GB 3200mhz at £150 but can afford Ryzen with 2x8GB at £70 then at least you actually have a Ryzen rig to use. I'm not talking about people with their 2700x I'm talking for those that just want the cheapest APU for playing some Fortnite/CS:GO/War Thunder/Overwatch at 1080p on lowest settings. Sure you'll take a 20% hit in performance because of the cheaper RAM but at least it's something affordable.

9. LePhuronn

Soldato

But it's not just Ryzen though. How many people are prepared to pay Intel's prices for Skylake and beyond but are sitting at Haswell and earlier because DDR4 is stupid money?

I know that I've had to put my modding aspirations on hold for a while because all four key components are ludicrous money right now, but RAM is the worst for me; I can make extensive aesthetic changes to budget motherboards, but I'm not pairing a £70 board with £200 RAM.

10. markoboyo11

Wise Guy

Yep I'm one too, eyeing up a 2600 and 450 motherboard build but the ram price is the only thing stopping me.

11. Devrij

Capodecina

I'm itching to get onto a new platform from my ivy chip, but like plenty of others I'm holding off until these inflated prices come down. Next year then, hopefully.

12. Troezar

Mobster

I'm thinking 8 core Zen 3 for £300 and 32GB RAM for £150 and £200 for a decent motherboard. £650 all in and that should keep me going for a long time! Have to wait and see what happens to prices.

13. Sampsy

Hitman

Is there any evidence that this is actually happening beyond this analyst report? IIRC Gibbo knew about the RAM shortage before it happened in 2016 - I remember him posting on the forum about it.