Drilling into brick with old hole close by ?

Associate
So I need to drill a hole into a brick wall for a rawplug - my problem is theres an existing redundant hole slightly overlapping where I need to drill. Sadly its too offset to re-use.

How can I drill the new hole without the drill walking into the old hole ? I guess I need to fill the old hole with something - whats best (e.g. wood dowel) ?

Associate
I would just fill the old hole with a cement, but if you don't have any a piece of wood shaved down and hammered in tight might be more secure

Soldato
Sometimes if it does't need to take a lot of weight, you can get the screw to go between the plug and the side of the hole. If that doesn't get you enough distance, then start the drill off at a bit of an angle, drilling into the side of the existing hole a little below the surface, as the hole starts, straighten up a little in the direction you want to offset the hole but not completely, you should end up with an offset hole that goes off a little bit of an angle which obviously your plug and fixing will too. Its difficult to explain in words... so hope you got that!

Permabanned
Yep, agree with the others, a hard filler. If you want it instant then use a chemical mortar ~ which is basically an epxoy type substance that looks like cement.

Back
Top Bottom