Drip coffee thread

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Does anyone fancy a drip coffee thread to run alongside Siliconslave's espresso thread? We can talk about what equipment, techniques and grinds work best and not clog that thread up.

It's fairly simple and nothing new, and a lot of coffee shops have drips sat brewing on the counter. I never gave it much thought until I picked up a 1970's French cookery book and it detailed how to make French coffee. Essentially it involved pre-soaking the grinds with a few tablespoons of boiling water for a couple of minutes to hydrate and swell the coffee. Then the main dose of boiling water is trickled over and allowed to drip into your pot, which is itself sat in a bain marie to keep it hot. Interesting that it specified that the water must be boiling, since I've always been brought up with the practice that you use water which is off-boiling.

I'm thinking of giving it a go at work because the prospect of using filters looks like something I can just dump in the bin, rinse, and not worry about snotting up the sink with coffee grounds from a cafetiere.

Soldato
Sounds good, I'm not opposed to another coffee thread :).
I have a Chemex at home and use it mostly at the weekend. I have to admit that I do prefer my Aeropress, but there is something satisfying about using the Chemex and watching the steady drip drip drip :).

Man of Honour
Happy to endorse this one ;) should really rename the other one as its not, nor never has been, either mine or exclusively about espresso.

I'm still running on drip only at home, partly through laziness and partly as i quite enjoy it.
Love my Clever dripper for a couple of reasons - specifically over cafetiere as it doesn't get that gritty end and you can just dump the ground and filter and over a chemex/v60 as you don't have to faff with the pour, just bloom then dump the right amount of water in & leave for 3.5min.
I do also use a v60, but again more for the ritual... kinda want a chemex but apparently i have too many coffee things already :(

on a side note apparently dumping coffee grounds down the drain is supposed to be really good for cleaning the drain or fertilizing your garden so maybe a waste to throw it away.

Soldato
today I received a Hario V60 to go alongside my aeropress today so will be watching this thread!

Raymond how much difference is there between the chemex and the hario?

Also, what grinders are you guys using? I want a small and inexpensive one to use at work with the aeropress/hario v60 :)

Caporegime
today I received a Hario V60 to go alongside my aeropress today so will be watching this thread!

Raymond how much difference is there between the chemex and the hario?

Also, what grinders are you guys using? I want a small and inexpensive one to use at work with the aeropress/hario v60 :)

Not much between the Chemex and Hario except the size.

Hario is for single cup, the chemex I can make for 4 cups.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Drip is my go to coffee style - I'm not a huge fan of espresso.

At home, my most used method is the Kalita Wave - simple and easy to clean. I have a Chemex I use mostly at the weekends (larger quantities). For work I have a Clever Dripper I leave on the rig. I find it easier to use when time/resources are limited. As Siliconslave says "...just bloom then dump the right amount of water in & leave for 3.5min."

I also have a vacuum syphon that rarely gets used. It's great fun to use and makes good coffee but it's a lot of work for a cup of coffee.

I find I need to use a much finer grind for the Kalita Wave than I do for the Chemex and Clever Dripper. If I have the grind too fine in the Chemex it takes too long and over-infuses. Too coarse in the Kalita and it under-infuses. The Clever Dripper is much more forgiving.

Man of Honour
Soldato
excuse my ignorance but what would a hario have over an aeropress?
Seconded. I use the inverted aeropress method which I believe gives a nice blend of a filter-esque and espresso brew methods. Would I really see much difference using a Hario or Chemex?

Caporegime
I had the aero press before. You force coffee through the aero press but Hario is slow gravity drip.

You can "brew" using the reverse method in the aero press but not Hario although nothing stopping you to double filter it which I do if the ground is too corse.

I prefer the Hario, it's more fool proof.

Man of Honour
"Control freak car fiends drive stick shifts. Control freak computer nerds use Linux. Control freak coffee geeks... well, they pick pour over! These brewers are now mainstream in specialty coffee shops, and for good reason."

found this while perusing lovely looking haro stands on some weird coffee website, but it seems about right.

Anyone bought themselves a swan neck kettle yet? They seem to make the whole thing a load easier but damn are they expensive...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom