Drip coffee thread

Man of Honour
Caporegime
I throw coffee grounds into the garden, just scatter them all over.

into the compost heap for me although i am thinking of making a dedicate coffee ground compost bin. my main compost material is about 2 million tonnes of leaves in the fall which doesn't make for good compost.

Something else you can do with the coffee is dry them out and burn them. A friend has one of those paper recycling things where you make a kind of paper mash with waste paper and spam mail and pur the mix into a mold which you can compress into a kind of log. which you leave to dry. He puts coffee granules into that.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Anyone tried the cold brew method?

I remember trying a cup from a random cafe in Atlanta and it tasted amazing, and have since want to try it myself but not sure what I need.
I didn't get on with it. It's missing a lot of things I like in coffee like the bitterness, some of the flavour compounds and aftertaste. So I don't know if I'll do it again.

Make sure you use really fresh coffee if you try it, because it seemed toreally highlight how stale my grind was. It was much better with a fresh roast and grind.

Soldato
Ohh, I've just started with this kind of coffee making.

I picked up one of these Gefu doohickies from a local homeware shop

wwkJtpjl.jpg

I decided it was probably time I started weighing out the beans before grinding instead of eyeballing them so I got one of these compact scales.

How many grams do people use for a normal cup of coffee with pourover?

Man of Honour
Depends on the size of the mug.

For every 100g of water, use 6g of coffee as a starting point.

My normal mug has 400g capacity so I use 24g of coffee normally *that can vary depending on the coffee used, but it's a damn good ratio to start with*

Check out www.brewmethods.com for various brewing techniques.

Right, onto what I actually came in to post. ;)

The excellent Brewista scales are now up for preorder at coffeehit with 10% off. They are really cool. Got to play with a set at the london coffee festival and have also tried them in a cafe in London. *said cafe has now ordered half a dozen of them, they were that impressed*

If you hang around on the main page of coffeehit you may also get another 10% off voucher code.

Still close to £40 for a set of scales admittedly, but given that I've spent nearly that on 4 sets of scales this year that die at the first hint of water, and these are pretty much waterproof, they look a good deal to me.

Soldato
Where are people buying their V60 02 coffee filters from? Almost everywhere sells them for around £4.50 for 100, which im fine with, but almost everyone wants £2-3 packing! I have a mental block of spending more than a fiver for these :(

Soldato
I'm after something at home that I can brew ~500/600ml in.

There's a choice between Chemex or Kalita carafes at around £40, or a Hario one at around £15.

Any reason not to choose the Hario?

Associate
I'm after something at home that I can brew ~500/600ml in.

There's a choice between Chemex or Kalita carafes at around £40, or a Hario one at around £15.

Any reason not to choose the Hario?

I've just bought one of those Hario brewers with the plastic V60 - if it's for making drinks for more than one person it's ideal.

You can't get 2 seperate cups out of it for yourself though, it's very thin glass and loses heat very quickly if there isnt much liquid in it.

Soldato
I've just bought one of those Hario brewers with the plastic V60 - if it's for making drinks for more than one person it's ideal.

You can't get 2 seperate cups out of it for yourself though, it's very thin glass and loses heat very quickly if there isnt much liquid in it.

Thanks, that shouldn't be an issue as I want it specifically for 2/3 people.

Associate
Any recommendations for a sub £150 electric grinder other than the Encore? Feel like I am getting a lot of fines from the it & wondering if anything better is out there in this price range? Won't ever be used for espresso :)

Associate
Bunko, S/H Mazzer mini or SJ if you can find one, or have a look at the Ibertial MC2 (it's what I use, and has been fine aslong as you dont need to adjust the grind size too often).

Not sure how the MC2 compares to the Encore - but bother Mazzers would definitely be a big step up.

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions Ducky, I'll have a read up on both :) I had the MC2 when I had a gaggia classic but would really need a stepped grinder as it's too much of a pain switching between fine & course which is why I got rid of it.

Associate
Started buying beans now i have a hand grinder (Coffee Burr Mill) was around £20 pretty decent just got to figure out how fine i need the grind for my Aeropress.

Regarding beans, where do people recommend to buy them from been using Pact for some time now and just wondering if there are any other places i can try for some good quality beans :).

Back
Top Bottom