Drip coffee thread

Soldato
If anyone wants to try pact coffee out, I just got the below for £8.95 using code 'xmasbeans'.
Don't forget to cancel the subscription before the next bag arrives if you don't want to keep it. I'm trying it out for a few months to see how it fairs and have paused my Hasbean sub in the meantime.

wUjjDBXh.jpg

Soldato
looking at getting a chemex, whats the best method? there seems to be some debate whether to bloom and then pour all water in or drop in enough water to cover grounds at a time? also anyone weigh as they go?

Man of Honour
looking at getting a chemex, whats the best method? there seems to be some debate whether to bloom and then pour all water in or drop in enough water to cover grounds at a time? also anyone weigh as they go?

not specifically for chemex but i've always gone with:

-Rinse the paper into the cup and discard the water.
-60g coffee per litre of water - I do a 300ml cup so use 18g coffee.
-Bloom with around 20ml water for around 30seconds.
-Pour around 1/2 the water into the filter in a circular motion.
-Slowly pour the rest of the coffee just into the center upto the 300ml

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
not specifically for chemex but i've always gone with:

-Rinse the paper into the cup and discard the water.
-60g coffee per litre of water - I do a 300ml cup so use 18g coffee.
-Bloom with around 20ml water for around 30seconds.
-Pour around 1/2 the water into the filter in a circular motion.
-Slowly pour the rest of the coffee just into the center upto the 300ml

That's exactly how I brew Chemex - except I do a 400ml brew with 24g of coffee and bloom for about 40 seconds.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I usually let mine bloom while I wash my mug (at work). I don't usually bother washing the filter first but the brown V60 filters definitely have a slight 'papery' taste to them that the white ones do not. I add a small dose of water first, to get the bubbles out the coffee, then about half the mug, let it filter through, then keep topping it up as necessary. I've got a hot water urn at work, so don't have to worry about the water going cold as it's held at about 98 degrees. At home I'll flick the kettle back on to bump the temperature back up.

I haven't weighed my coffee to see how much goes in but, using the scoop that came with the V60, one level scoop of beans makes an average brew, smaller portion for weaker, few more for stronger. Works for me :p

Soldato
Brewed my first chemex coffee this morning. Very nice, seems a lot more flavoursome than an aeropress brew.

Had a bit of bother with the filter, it was only after I noticed Hasbean had sent the wrong filters that i ordered for the 1-3 cup.

Associate
There's not enough drip coffee fans on the forum, time to wake up the thread :p

Here's my latest kit for the office, a small Hario V60 pour over set in size 01 and a Hario Mini Mill Slim coffee grinder.

240yfrd.jpg

Soldato
Drip coffee is my preferred method, I have to be in the mood for an espresso to fire up the Silvia.

I'm currently drinking a Chemex (got a new one for Christmas after my previous one somehow cracked in the dishwasher) of El Salvador Finca La Lagunita from the SSSSS HasBean subscription.

It's a cracking Chemex. I agree entirely with the red apple tasting note that Steve mentioned. It's a shame there's no more avaialble, I'd really like a couple of bags more.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
There's not enough drip coffee fans on the forum, time to wake up the thread :p
Yeah I thought about this thread a few days ago when I saw an 01 size Hario in the sink at my new work :p

I seem to be getting a curious taste for robusta beans at the moment. I'm quite enjoying that astringent bitterness and caffeine kick like a deadly ninja :eek:

Do any of the boutique roasters do gourmet robusta, or are they all a bit too snobby for that?

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone selling robusta beans, it's pretty much drilled into us that robusta is bad. Would be interesting to try some really good robusta, sure it'd be better than bad Arabica.
Only place I've found google if is rave that do a green robusta, I think there's something against roasting robusta in the same machine as arabica. Not sure why though.

Soldato
I am interested in this thread and after a recommendation...

I love my coffee and my daily cup(s) is from a bean to cup and I then have a Gaggia, aeropress, cafetière, bialetti pot and the list goes on!!!

What I don't recall have is one I'm happy to use at work, I have a share of an aeropress but I often don't use it mainly as the tea/coffee making is a shared task so looking at the drip style setups in here.

Is there one that I can setup with grounds and then someone fills with water from one of the large urn type setups that will give me a good coffee hit, single cup is fine?

Associate
Is there one that I can setup with grounds and then someone fills with water from one of the large urn type setups that will give me a good coffee hit, single cup is fine?

Clever Coffee Dripper is fine for the office. Just need filters.

Although not a drip method, an Espro coffee pot is good for work as it's easy. You'll also get positive comments about it's looks rather than having to explain what an Aeropress is everytime.

Associate
Glad to see this thread has kicked in again :)

I'm currently enjoying a couple of coffee beans from Origin, I bumped into these guys in Manchester last year and had some good advice from their barista.

2dlrmrl.jpg

j08jdc.jpg

If I want a strong cup, I'll go with 23g of coffee and 320g water but most of the time I enjoy a mellow 14g / 230g.

Associate
I am interested in this thread and after a recommendation...

A Hario V60 Drip Decanter Pour Over Coffee Maker or Chemex sounds similar to what you're after?

I've heard Chemex has thicker filters than Hario and Kalita so it can taste too clean if you don't take your time on the brew.

Soldato
Have a Kalita, a nice Japanese swan neck and a Rhino grinder which I have partially worn out as I stick my Dewalt drill on the end :D

I really enjoy the process. Appart from the drill noise it is quite calming lol.

Associate
I stick with my 6 year old Aeropress which I use almost every day and never lets me down :). I didn't enjoy using the Clever Dripper at work, and I wouldn't use my Chemex either as it is a more dedicated process, having to constantly watch and top up the water level. I found that the filters recommended for the clever dripper weren't that good, so have been using my Chemex filters instead, and they do work better.
As for my grinder, I prefer my Porlex (although I need a new one) over the Hario Skerton Coffee Mill. My Zassenhaus could also do with a good clean.

Back
Top Bottom