Drip coffee thread

Soldato
Great progress with the clever dripper so far, the melitta x4 filters are working a treat.

Not using any precision whatsoever with how much coffee I use (which goes against basically everything I've ready) mainly due to not wanting to invest money in scales and look like too much of a coffee dweeb in the office measuring out my scoops.

This, along with other variables like the age of the coffee and steeping time has led to a bit of variation in strength, but I'm sure I'll find a happy middle ground soon enough

Soldato
Oh dear, had a small accident with my clever dripper today. It's big enough for 1.5 cups and I always want a little more than just 1 cup so I normally fill it to capacity.

Anyway I take it back to my desk to finish off brewing and a few minutes later I put it onto my cup to drain. I've used it about 10 times so far, and every time have remembered to take it off before overflowing, but this time I didn't.

I was focusing hard on a particularly interesting spreadsheet (!) and looked down to see coffee all over my desk. I suppose it's playing with fire using more than will fit into the cup and not keeping a constant eye on it, but I don't want to either have less coffee or sit at my desk for 2 minutes eye balling the thing, so I'll keep living on the edge.

Man of Honour
Jonnie, black sheep do a robusta coffee - they don't seem to sell it online though: http://www.leavetheherdbehind.com I'll pick you up some next time I'm in town if you like (will be about a fortnight though I think)

svKMyBU.jpg

had the espresso while i was in there (and picked up one of their other blends) and it was pretty tasty, none of that burnt or bitter flavour you'd expect from a Robusta

Last edited:
Man of Honour
been working my way through the rave order

Fudge Blend Evolution - amazing by far my favorite
Papua New Guinea Kunjin1 -very very good
Indian Monsooned Malabar - do not like at all, in fact not going to use the 200grams left, cant quite place my finger on the taste, closest i can come to is a ash/chalky taste
Sparkling Water Decaf Blend -haven't tried yet, its turn is tomorrow.

Soldato
I'm yet to find a monsooned malabar that I've liked or even one that I can tolerate. I find they have almost a tobacco taste which I really find repulsive.

Indian coffee in general isn't my thing. HasBean has in the past had some Balmadi which was ok but nothing special.

Soldato
The Porlex hand grinders are pretty good but do give you quite a workout.

For drip coffee I've got a Baratza Encore. A bit over budget at £140 from Amazon but it's a great consistent grinder.

Back
Top Bottom