Drive not seen by Windows 10, but is seen by Bios (not in device manager)

Commissario
Hi

I've just fitted a 4tb drive to my brother's Gigabyte z87x-ud3h.
At the moment the drive is seen by the Bios quite happily but not showing up in Windows 10, either in Disk Management, or in the Device Manager.

I'm going to try a different cable/SATA connection tomorrow but was wondering if anyone else has seen this/has any ideas before I start fiddling with it (it's a pain to work on as I have to lift it in and out of position and unplug/plug everything every time I access the case).
It doesn't seem to be driver related as it's on the Intel SATA ports and his other drives are running off them.

I'll probably try it tomorrow and find it works fine and i've just missed something due to being tired:p

Permabanned
Press and hold the power button on your PC (not the reset button) so it shutdowns totally, then press the same power button (will take longer than normal to boot) and see if Windows see it as this worked for me in past.

If not do same again but pull PSU lead and press power button a few times to get rid of charge in CAPS so its dead as dodo and then power up, I have to do this when swapping my internal WIFI/BT card over (many times) as Windows acts up not letting go of old one even after its removed so I cannot install new one but doing this resets it.

Soldato
You may need to check the bios to see what setting the SATA channels are in. They need to be AHCI or Raid not in IDE mode.

I think the IDE only supports 2 connections or maybe 4 out of the total available SATA ports on those older boards.

Permabanned
I have a Z87 (Asus Rog) and you can use all the 6 Intel ports in any mode.

It could be one of many things causing it and I have seen it many times myself normally its Windows related if Bios can see it.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Press and hold the power button on your PC (not the reset button) so it shutdowns totally, then press the same power button (will take longer than normal to boot) and see if Windows see it as this worked for me in past.

If not do same again but pull PSU lead and press power button a few times to get rid of charge in CAPS so its dead as dodo and then power up, I have to do this when swapping my internal WIFI/BT card over (many times) as Windows acts up not letting go of old one even after its removed so I cannot install new one but doing this resets it.

That worked a treat, I was trying to work out what was going on last night as it was on the same controller as another drive that was working (and my machine uses the same motherboard/CPU and has used all the ports in the past), and assumed that telling windows to shut down, then disconnecting the power cable from the psu would be enough.
I do so love the little windows 10 bugs...almost as much as I love it's networking/notworking.

Permabanned
Good news, just out of curiosity was it first or second method you had to do?

AFAIK its called a Power Cycle (not the same as reboot).

Putting aside the above, remember by default Windows 10 does not Fully Shut Down, it is a type of Hybrid Sleep (you can disable this in Power Settings Menu) or simply press SHIFT+ShutDown and it will then Power Off (still not a Power Cycle though).

SHIFT+Restart will get you to the Recovery Menu (old F6 Menu).

Commissario
OP
It was the holding the power button off for the reboot.

I remember when Windows actually shut down fully by default when you told it to shut down:p for some reason I thought it still did it by default (IIRC it was optional to have the hybrid sleep in 7 and I'm sure when I had 8 it was set to shut down fully).

Back
Top Bottom