Drivetribe is shutting down

Soldato
from what I saw on the youtube clip this morning (hammond getting back into the car that nearly killed him) - its just the website, the youtube content is still going ahead

Man of Honour
Shame in a way but as above wasn't a huge follower - I just don't think there are that many people who are really that into something like that to make it work - most of us I think have a far more passing interest.

Associate
I follow Foodtribe on YouTube, so I hope that carries on.

Doubt it...

We, therefore, unfortunately will be bringing the DriveTribe and FoodTribe websites and apps, and the business behind them, to a close at the end of this month.

Clarkson - Got the farm
Hammond - new series
May - no idea

Caporegime
It was mainly set up by a venture capitalist who paid the terrible threesome a handsome amount to be the face of it. You can see they weren't too bothered by it.

Tried to make a Facebook for cars, but Facebook is a Facebook for cars.

Soldato
I remember looking at it when it was launched not not quite understanding the concept, like has been said Facebook for cars but that already exists in the form of Facebook

I love cars but didn't like the initial sell when it was launched of being in different 'tribes' as i like and admire a huge range of cars and don't consider myself in 1 camp over another so i never actually checked it out as it sounded like it was going to be like lots of 1 make forums on 1 site and those places are never fun.

Caporegime
+1 for never really understanding the Drivetribe website. Just seemed to be a place people could post their own mini opinion pieces on a specific subject and people would comment on them. Much like a forum...

The YouTube channels are great though and given this video it looks like they'll continue with good content on there. Hopefully Foodtribe continues too as James is brilliant on that.

Soldato
Never even realised it was intended to be some kind of network, just seemed like Buzzfeed for cars, posting random quizzes, videos and memes and reposting them on Facebook/other.

Soldato
I remember the website had a big launch a while back. I had totally forgotten about it the second I was given access though. The YouTube is good IMO. It ticks the box on a few things - and the content is new and original. It'll be a shame but I imagine it has catapulted Mike's career.

Man of Honour
Making money on YouTube is a lot different to making money on TV. It never felt sorted to me, never sat in my subscriptions etc.

Soldato
Making money on YouTube is a lot different to making money on TV. It never felt sorted to me, never sat in my subscriptions etc.
It's worth a sub. They aren't big commitments from a time perspective and they cover some interesting stuff -
V8 Swapped 1M
V12 Peugeot
Worlds smallest V10
Victorian F1 Tunnel
May's Hydrogen car experience
The X20 engine (2x V10s)

Soldato
I never saw the point of the website, launched at a time that content was shifting from dedicated sites to social media, felt like a dinosaur with no real purpose.

Not a fan of the video content either, always pitched at an odd level where it goes deeper than you'd expect for a casual audience but not deep enough to satisfy a petrolhead.

Soldato
I’m guessing they signed up Clarkson, May and Hammond on a five year contract. That’s run out and only Hammond is renewing.

Does that sound about right?
Clarkson barely appeared. May did a 'few'. Hammond was the main guy but he now has the Smallest Cog.

Back
Top Bottom