Driving a car- how can I be safer around bikers?

Soldato
I've daringly ventured over from PC Games / Motors to ask you lot if my driving is good / bad / dangerous for bikers, and what annoys you lot as I seem to see more and more on my commute!

For instance, If I get a biker is jumping a 'queue' of traffic (a few cars at at time where safe to do so) stuck behind a nonce doing 40 on a 60mph road, is it best to move over to the side slightly, or slow down a bit to get a gap ahead of me for you to pull into or what?

Are bikers brakes better than cars? You only have two wheels, but have significantly less weight. I had to do pretty much an emergency stop the other day on the motorway in the outside lane with a bike quite close to my rear but on the left hand side of the outside lane, and i moved over to the right to give the biker the chance to brake slower on my inside if needs be.

Apart from those two examples, what can a competent driver do to help bikers be safer?

Caporegime
just drive as you normally would? some car drivers **** a brick and swerve over unnecessarily

cant really say much as I don't drive a car,bikes brakes aint so good as a cars,you have more weight to slow you in a car I would have thought

the main thing is is not to over react and do silly un needed things,just drive around as you normally would and let the biker do his thing

One

One

Soldato
Just notice bikes and be conscious they'll overtake you where a car would not be able to.

Other than accidents/traffic if you have to alter how you drive to accommodate the bike then the bike is being a bit naughty.

Soldato
OP
I do generally not really do anything in normal situations around a bike (I've seen people panic when they've got a biker behind them and it is a scary situation to be in!) I'm more on about the unusual or emergency situations.

It seems there are two types of bikers- crazy ones that do 100 on a derestricted A road and pass about 20 cars on blind corners, and ones that only overtake cars at a max of +20mph of the cars they're overtaking.

Curiously it seems the latter group are the ones that say thank you when you move over a bit in a slow /stationary queue of traffic.

Soldato
Other than just being aware ALL the time and not snoozing off/txting/doing make up (not suggesting you do this, but some do!), then there's not much else that genuinely bothers me much. Just being aware that we are there is good enough for me, and should stop most accidents happening.

Good on you for asking.

Last edited:
Soldato
The one that makes me worry most is being followed too close in the wet or on corners.
And lane-changes in stationary/very slow-moving traffic when I'm filtering. Look first and indicate!

Soldato
I've daringly ventured over from PC Games / Motors to ask you lot if my driving is good / bad / dangerous for bikers, and what annoys you lot as I seem to see more and more on my commute!

For instance, If I get a biker is jumping a 'queue' of traffic (a few cars at at time where safe to do so) stuck behind a nonce doing 40 on a 60mph road, is it best to move over to the side slightly, or slow down a bit to get a gap ahead of me for you to pull into or what?

Are bikers brakes better than cars? You only have two wheels, but have significantly less weight. I had to do pretty much an emergency stop the other day on the motorway in the outside lane with a bike quite close to my rear but on the left hand side of the outside lane, and i moved over to the right to give the biker the chance to brake slower on my inside if needs be.

Apart from those two examples, what can a competent driver do to help bikers be safer?

Bike brakes are generally worse than cars, when it comes to emergency braking. We only have 2 narrow tyres vs 4 large tyres, and 3 brake discs vs 4.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/skZ7PMR4gpw?t=3m40s that's a standard hot hatch vs the best litre sportbike of a couple of years ago.

However in normal braking a bike will brake later than a car, as we're lighter, less mass to slow down. On a stretch of 70mph DC, I'll typically start braking at the 100m sign (green sign with a single slash) before a roundabout, after some engine braking, so down to about 50-60mph before braking. Roundabout normally taken at 20-30mph.

When you see a biker behind you, don't drive slower than normal, that just annoys us and makes us want to overtake you more, potentially making the rider make a stupid overtake. Even if you're doing 60mph in a NSL single carriageway, the bike will have enough power to overtake and be back on the correct side of the road within 2-3 seconds max of pulling out. I'm quite happy to follow a car doing 60-70mph in a NSL SC road, whereas someone doing 50mph, I'd want to overtake.

Simiarly, don't drive in the verge so we can get past. I've seen cars have 2 wheels practically on the grass in front of me. :rolleyes: And let us decide when we want to overtake, again I've seen cars pull over near into the verge on a blind bend wanting me to go past - no thanks, I'll pick when it's safe to overtake thank you.

Following a driver doing 40mph, the best advice is to leave a big gap between you and the car in front - if there's no gap the biker has to overtake both you and the car in front, which means more danger. In the gap between you and the car ahead he has to be able to slow down from 60/70mph (fast enough for a safe and quick overtake) down to 40mph, a nice big gap to aim for is welcomed.

Basically, drive normally and at a decent speed.

Let us past when safe but don't go out of your way to do it.

Don't decide for us when to it's safe to overtake.

DO NOT TAILGATE. If a biker comes off you won't have time avoid him and you'll probably run him over. Result: Dead biker. Bikers doing 30 in a 30 zone and 40 in a 40 zone are doing this by choice. Get to a NSL and they'll be gone before you can blink, but some bikers like to stick to limits in villages and towns.

If you're in a queue of slow moving cars, moving over if bikes are filtering is very welcome and will normally always get a wave of thanks, or a stick out of the leg if we're using the clutch. Just think - when it's hot, we're sat on a 100 degree engine getting roasted balls, whilst getting baked by the sun, while you're sat in your air conditioned armchair! :p

Also, safety - If you let a biker filter ahead he'll be in your life for a few seconds: he may delay your journey by 10 seconds if he filters to the front of the queue. But filtering to the front could save his life if that queue of cars gets rear ended by a lorry. Car drivers might get some whiplash and injuries, but a biker would be dead.

And don't edge out of junctions before a biker has passed. Doing this makes our hearts beat at 200bpm for a few seconds, as we don't know if the car driver is going to pull out, or stop, or just edge out slowly. DON'T ROLL FORWARD when at a junction!! Or even worse, pull out half across the road... :mad:

But above all:

Look for us. Be aware of where we are and be nice to us :D And just drive normally, not stupid to let us past, not slower than normal. Oh and use your mirrors and check your blindspot!!

Tell you what, the best thing to make you aware of what we have to put up with, is to do a CBT. A day long course which teaches you the very basics of bike riding. You'll then realise how vulnerable we are, and it'll make you a better driver.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Best thing IMO is the old look left, right, left again so you minimise the chances of pull out in front of a biker - also if someone lets you out of a junction and your crossing into the other lane there could be a bike coming up in the middle of the road that wasn't anticipating them letting you out - seen this happen with vans, etc. where the bike is masked from view and the car pulls out right into them (not a situation you can really do much about but if you are aware of the possibility you can react to it quicker).

Last edited:
Associate
Echo the drive normally and just be aware of us.
The worst thing for me is when people see you overtaking and speed up to try and block you. Never understand that, if they succeed the best they can hope for is gaining a place in the traffic while watching us die...

IC3

IC3

Soldato
- Use your mirrors, look over the shoulder.
- Look twice before doing a manoeuvre
- When you see a biker in traffic, move gently to the other side.
- Remember that bikes are smaller than cars, its hard to judge the speed and distance of a person on a bike.
- Use indicators

On Friday night I was coming back from the bike night over at Ace Cafe, a women coming out of pub in Nissan Qashqai pulled out forcing me to go on to the next lane. If there was a car coming, I wouldn't probably be writing this post right now. :p So yeah, look twice before doing anything...

Last edited:
Soldato
Blind Spots - Check Them
Blind Spots - Check Them
Blind Spots - Check Them
Blind Spots - Check Them
Blind Spots - Check Them

PLEASE.

People should do it in cars ANYWAY, but they don't. If there is one thing I wish people would do more it's this. Not allowing room to filter I can live with. Not checking blind spots might kill me.

Soldato
Indicators!! Car drivers down here have forgotten that they are to make other people aware of their intentions to change direction. Sadly most people pretty much come to a stop and indicate now....if at all.

As bikers we plan our paths and road positions according to what is going on around us. If people signal their intentions it makes things a lot easier.

Man of Honour
And don't edge out of junctions before a biker has passed. Doing this makes our hearts beat at 200bpm for a few seconds, as we don't know if the car driver is going to pull out, or stop, or just edge out slowly. DON'T ROLL FORWARD when at a junction!! Or even worse, pull out half across the road... :mad:

This, so much this!

The amount of times my arse has been going 20p 50p because some plonker has decided to start rolling just as I get to the edge of their bumper, buses round here seem to love doing it.

Soldato
Don't just look, but SEE if it is clear.
As of 2012 - 87% of accidents involving a bike and another vehicle happen because the other vehicle has pulled out on the bike.
Stats pulled from ROSPA, MAG and Govt stats.
Good road advice, anyway.

thanks for the feedback. I'm just concious that whilst I have an airbag to faceplant you've only got cold hard tarmac!
Actually...

Something I like to point out to car drivers - If you hit my bike in the wrong way, you'll get 42 stone of metal motorcycle flipping up and through your window, plus an extra 13-odd of fleshy human.
I'll be dead and won't give a ****!!
Either you or your kids will be spending the rest of your/their life with half a face, all because you couldn't take one extra second to look.

Same applies for chucking your indicator on and assuming I will move out of your way - Go for it, mate... You'll be the Elephant-Man one who's never getting laid again. What the **** do I care!! :D

Blind spots - We have pretty good all-round vision. Problem areas are the quarters off the back left and back right, and directly behind, especially if you have a low sports car.
By contrast, watch out for the areas blocked by your pillars. The A-pillar is especially awkward on roundabouts.

Filtering - In traffic, check your mirrors often. It's in the Highway Code, so what we're doing is perfectly legal.
If you see us *and* have space on the other side (check for bikers there, too), feel free to move over by a foot or so. If we're able and it's safe, you'll often get a wave/nod of thanks.

Generally, though, we know the width restriction of our vehicle FAR better than you do, so let us make the decisions and don't get all huffy, trying to block us off.

Racing - Don't.
If you can beat 0-60 in under 3 seconds, let's take it to the track. The Road is not the place, so don't even try. Usually I'm only blazing off because that takes me out of everyone's way.

Most bikes will outrun most cars anyway.
Those that cannot, such as 125s, will just be further endangered by you roaring off, especially if you stuff it and spin out.
How would it feel - You ****** up the racing start, spun the car and sideswiped a kid on L-plates, so are now serving a prison term for Death By Dangerous Driving - You won't get much Yard Cred in D-Block for that...

Lines - Remember that bikes may take different lines to a car. We may go round roundabouts differently, take different positions when cornering/turning, don't often need to indicate when passing parked vehicles, swerve around speed bumps/obstacles/potholes in the road, etc.

Emergency braking - If you had enough time to check where the bike was, figure his path and move aside, all while EBing, then he should have had ample braking time.
If you can manage this, great, but worry about your own braking first. IMO, if he rear-ends you, it's his fault and his problem.

Following - 2 second rule applies right here. You get too close, you'll flip teh bike and get the front end through yoru windscreen - Free coverage with Autoglass won't save your face then...!
Remember that bikes have far better engine braking and a slight roll-off of throttle will drop their speed dramatically before they even get the brake light on. I have 130BHP to make use of and it works in both engine acceleration and engine braking!

Conditions - Pay attention to the weather. We don't have windscreen wipers, so our vision in rain is pretty much a speckled, streaky mess. Headlights are massively magnified too, so keep those fogs off unless there's actual thick fog. You should have your headlights properly adjusted anyway, yet many people either don't or have excessively bright LED junk. If I can't see the road, how do you expect me to avoid you?
Blind us, force an emergency stop on slippery roads, or things like that and you may well get a bike sliding along/speeding head-on into your wing/door/windscreen.
How much do you value your face?

Like all vehicle groups, we have good and bad. Summertime is when most of the idiots appear, be it boy racers, kids, or BMW/Audi drivers who like a blast and haven't ridden since last August.
The majority are pretty good, if only because misbehaving is expensive and can kill.

Once again, thanks for asking about this. Hopefully more drivers will follow your example!

Man of Honour
That's a good point about engine braking, it's rare I'll actually come on the brake until I'm a few feet away from where I need to stop but I'll have been slowing down at a fair rate before that.
I normally give my brake lever a little squeeze just to flick my brake light on even if I don't need it just to give anyone following me a bit of warning.

Don
I normally give my brake lever a little squeeze just to flick my brake light on even if I don't need it just to give anyone following me a bit of warning.

I do the same. I always have my foot lightly on the rear brake pedal to make the light come on when I roll off the throttle.

Back
Top Bottom