Driving a lamborghini huracan with no MOT!

Soldato
Whilst my sympathy is a bit lacking as she should have been more organised assuming she owned the car, I can see an issue.

In NI I used to get an MOT reminder letter sent about a month before so it was easy to keep track of. I was wondering about my motorbike MOT in April and fortunately looked it up on the day it was due to expire. I called the DVLA and they told me that MOT reminders aren't automatically sent in England! I've since signed up for the email and text reminder service but thought it was a bit odd tbh.

Caporegime
Look everyone, Nasher's talking out his arse again!

I actually checked a plate yesterday out of curiosity. Bentley Conti with just enough mods to scream "I'm up to my eyeballs on this car" - sure enough, no MOT. You can generally spot them a mile away, always a certain type of driver.

Caporegime
Their database will update instantly, but it doesn't mean the website will. To have it in real time would be quite demanding on their internal systems.

You also think they would abandon the MOT immediately if they find a major fail and the retest for free and find the next major fail and stops and retest for free and continues on...

Soldato
For what it's worth, the penalty for driving with no MOT is not particularly severe, so I doubt this was the cause of her upset.

This. Isn't it generally a £100 fine and no points, in most circumstances?
Not a bill I#d expect someone driving a Lamborghini to be particularly upset about.

Man of Honour
To be fair on brand new cars I have seen it still saying "we have no information for this car" or something like that for a day or so after the first ever MOT was done - I've never so far seen it delayed normally though - it has been instantly updated on anything I've driven however.

Soldato
This. Isn't it generally a £100 fine and no points, in most circumstances?
Not a bill I#d expect someone driving a Lamborghini to be particularly upset about.

Depends if they also decide to do them for not having valid insurance at the same time and take the car.

For what it's worth, the penalty for driving with no MOT is not particularly severe, so I doubt this was the cause of her upset.

But invalidates your insurance as the car being roadworthy is a requirement for insurance

If your in a major incident and large numbers are paid out then they will pursue through courts for recovery.
When I worked at an ins co there was a department who did this and I knew some of the people who worked there, there were people they said were having money deducted from wages monthly (significant amounts) who would be paying all their life because their insuarance had been voided but the ins co had had to pay out due to RTA

Man of Honour
who would be paying all their life because their insuarance had been voided but the ins co had had to pay out due to RTA

I imagine in a good few cases people will declare themselves bankrupt to get out of it - I assume the same for something like that - I know 1-2 people who've done it for other stuff which I find contemptible as it was through their own actions they put themselves in that position in the first place.

I imagine in a good few cases people will declare themselves bankrupt to get out of it - I assume the same for something like that - I know 1-2 people who've done it for other stuff which I find contemptible as it was through their own actions they put themselves in that position in the first place.

It was never mentioned specifically but i would guess so as well. I guess it depends on asset value vs deductions. Deductions were AFAIK based on income so if you had relatively high assets but not income I guess just suck it up, but low assets may be worth the pain of a bankruptcy to make it go away.

Man of Honour
It's a strange one as an MOT in no way proves the vehicle is roadworthy apart from that tiny period of time between it being issued and the car being driven away.

Man of Honour
But invalidates your insurance as the car being roadworthy is a requirement for insurance

If your in a major incident and large numbers are paid out then they will pursue through courts for recovery.
When I worked at an ins co there was a department who did this and I knew some of the people who worked there, there were people they said were having money deducted from wages monthly (significant amounts) who would be paying all their life because their insuarance had been voided but the ins co had had to pay out due to RTA
An MOT isn't any guarantee of roadworthiness.

Back
Top Bottom