Driving an R34 GTR / MK4 Supra / R35 GTR

Associate
So in the summer 2020 I'll be off to Japan for a holiday. My plan is to rent one of the above cars for one day and drive around their mountain roads. I'm a bit undecided on which of these 3 to go for. The R34 and Supra are definitely hero cars for me, I grew up in the gran turismo / fast and furious generation and always loved them.

The R35 is more curiosity to see just how quick it is, but I don't see them in the same hero light as the other two. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me their driving experiences and opinions of these cars to try and help me make my decision. Cheers

Associate
The only answer from me is the R34! It's been my dream for as long as I can remember. My wife bought me a go in a 2F2F replica (I'm fairly sure it was a GTT not a GTR though) for 6 laps round a track and it was great fun. The Supra would be a close second. The R35 is more of a curiosity for me too, it's clearly the faster car but I don't see it being the most "fun".

I'm incredibly jealous of your Japan visit - go and enjoy whichever you choose! And Merry Christmas.

Caporegime
R34 all day long. Supras are crap drivers' cars. R35 is nice but every mile you cover in it, you'll be wondering what the other two are like. You can also hire an R35 anywhere.

Man of Honour
Have you actually checked whether you can do this? I'd be somewhat surprised if it's easy to rent at least two of those cars...

Associate
OP
The only answer from me is the R34! It's been my dream for as long as I can remember. My wife bought me a go in a 2F2F replica (I'm fairly sure it was a GTT not a GTR though) for 6 laps round a track and it was great fun. The Supra would be a close second. The R35 is more of a curiosity for me too, it's clearly the faster car but I don't see it being the most "fun".

I'm incredibly jealous of your Japan visit - go and enjoy whichever you choose! And Merry Christmas.

R34 all day long. Supras are crap drivers' cars. R35 is nice but every mile you cover in it, you'll be wondering what the other two are like. You can also hire an R35 anywhere.
Thanks guys. Think I will definitely have a closer look at the R34 then!
Have you actually checked whether you can do this? I'd be somewhat surprised if it's easy to rent at least two of those cars...
Yeah I've looked into it a bit and it seems like there's 2 main companies that do it in English. This one seems to be cheaper and has better condition cars according to an article I've read.
https://www.omoren.com/en/

Man of Honour
I'd leave the R34 and Supra as heroes, by modern standards they're not particularly fast or exciting.

The GTR is genuinely a fantastic experience and contrary to popular belief is quite an analogue feeling car

Sgarrista
Commissario
Agree on the R35, in the space of a holiday you wont be bored by it one bit, also dont forget if youre covering some miles in it, Japan is *huge* and you will soon get a bit tired of the lack of creature comforts that the other 2 wont have in comparison.

Soldato
Agree on the R35, in the space of a holiday you wont be bored by it one bit, also dont forget if youre covering some miles in it, Japan is *huge* and you will soon get a bit tired of the lack of creature comforts that the other 2 wont have in comparison.
What kind of creature comforts? They are hardly stripped back sports cars.

I would go for the R35 though, R34/A80 are going to be a bit lacklustre in stock form by todays standards.

Soldato
R34 GTR.

Proper analogue controls, no nonsense. A much better driving experience for the mountain roads :)

Probably best to go with a Supra if you want proper analogue with no nonsense. I'm sure there are plenty who would consider Super HICAS and ATTESA-ETS to be 'nonsense'.

Soldato
ok maybe i'm converting wrong but is that £200/day for a NSX . £320 for a Gallardo :D

why dont hertz offer deals like this

Back
Top Bottom