Driving lessons

Soldato
I haven’t driven for about 12 years but me and my gf want to do a driving holiday around scotland.

Anyway i wondered how many lessons i would need to get used to it, at a guess i would say 4-5?

edit: hoping to go in october but could be next year depending on covid.

Last edited:
Associate
hmm.. i'd say regardless of how long ago since you've driven, you should be able to pick it back up by instinct... nowt has changed in terms of starting a manual/automatic car as far as i'm aware. My uncle hadn't driven a car for over 10years, and when he came to the UK to visit, he could drive a manual car fine. His trouble mainly concerned about which side the indicators and wipers were on as they are opposite sides in HK.

Associate
Had you driven at all before the 12 year gap? I passed but didn't drive at all for 8 years so needed 10 lessons (2 hrs but they were 1.5 hrs really... bad instructor but I just needed experience in a car).
4-5 will be plenty if you've driven before, after that get a car 1/2 months in advance of your trip and just drive as much as you can to get confidence to maximum.

Soldato
Go get an introductory lesson with a decent, qualified instructor.
They will be best placed to assess your ability and gauge your requirements. One session might be all you need, but it's a good 'check-up'.

Soldato
OP
Had you driven at all before the 12 year gap? I passed but didn't drive at all for 8 years so needed 10 lessons (2 hrs but they were 1.5 hrs really... bad instructor but I just needed experience in a car).
4-5 will be plenty if you've driven before, after that get a car 1/2 months in advance of your trip and just drive as much as you can to get confidence to maximum.

yea i passed in december 07 but crashed and wrote off a car in april 08, couldn’t afford to get a new car as i was at uni and have just managed without one ever since.

Back
Top Bottom