Driving with the wrong plates penalty?

Soldato
My sister has just sold her car which had private plates on it and hasn't told the DVLA yet, however like a muppet she has already put them on the new car & has just managed to get flashed by a speed camera.

What's the likely outcome as the car now doesn't match the plates and it sounds like she has been caught?

Soldato
This sounds like it could be quite a potential mess. The plate goes with the car usually at the point of sale unless it's agreed that it will change imminently. This is why you'd usually expect the seller to change the private plate off to a new car or put back onto retention prior to sale. If she's not informed dvla technically she could be said to be on cloned ones. I'd be doing online transfer immediately online.

Soldato
So OP said his sister had taken the plates off the car, so presumably the new owner is driving around with the old plates but it's actually still registered with the private plate? Sounds like it could be a bit of a mess for them as well!

Soldato
Yup plate is gone unless buyer is happy to take them off and give them back to your sister. She is a silly woman to say the least, why not research and figure out how things work before you go ahead and mess it up this bad. She's also committing a 2nd offense by driving on false/cloned plates.

Don
I would suggest that she fesses up to the buyer, gets him to name her as the driver so she takes the points/penalty and then hope that he agrees to transfer the plate back to her. Don't transfer the plate back to her without his agreement as that will potentially just make things worse.

Back
Top Bottom