Dropping off/collecting loved ones - what's reasonable?

Caporegime
OP
Chelsmford > Colchester at that time would take 25 minutes each way, so call in an hour and 15 max if you include pickup time.

I'd happily do it every now and again, not every weekend.

Please post pics of wife and if she's out in Colchester she can just stay at mine if you prefer? :p

Not that I was asked, but last night it would have been

Leave Chelmsford
Drive to Colchester
Collect three drunk women
Drop one off in Hatfield Peveral
Drop one off at Boreham
Drive home with wife.

Soldato
Occasionally is okay but frequent and its a no.

Me and my mates used to get a cab back from Colchester to Frinton, same time around 30 minutes would cost about 40/50 so just over a tenner each. And that was at 2/3 in the morning so still in peak hours.

Caporegime
Depends. If you're at work or required to be up early the next day I think she's being unreasonable. Otherwise just get on with it. What does anmoy me though is when people simply assume or it becomes a regular thing.

Man of Honour
We live in Telford, both of us go out in Birmingham on the odd occasion neither of us have a problem picking each other up if we're not staying over.

Takes just over an hour round trip in the early hours and saves a £60-70 taxi bill.

Soldato
I'm disgusted with you all, 2nd page and not one picture request.

Old/hideous trolls in makeup, taxi.

Pneumatic chests/low cut tops, I'll be waiting by the phone.

Although if any of them has form for throwing up at the end of the night then she's walking....

Associate
Totally depends on when you sleep. If you're up then I'd probably do it. But I'm asleep by 11pm so for that reason I'm out.

Caporegime
It sounds like you don't want to do it so her saying she thinks you should volunteer sounds manipulative more than anything, either stand your ground or become a mug as you put it. It's their choice to go 30mins out of the way and stay out until 1am so let them share a taxi, if you act like a door mat then in another few months she'll probably be leaving you for some bloke she met on one of these nights out.

Soldato
I like having a few cans or a bottle of wine on a Friday/Saturday night if I'm at home, just because I might choose not to go out doesn't mean that I don't want to relax and enjoy my time off work. Wouldn't be able to do that if I for some reason had to pick up a bunch of drunks in the early hours of the morning. When I do go out I always budget a taxi home into the night, I'd personally tell my other half to do the same thing. In fact, I wouldn't expect someone to pick me up under those circumstances, I chose to go out so it's my responsibility to get home. I'd feel I was being unfair by limiting what my partner could do just for the sake of saving a tenner.

Fair enough if there's an emergency of some sort, but I definitely wouldn't make it a regular thing.

Soldato
I used to do a 10 mile round trip to get my wife from Manchester City centre when she went on nights out and had no issues. I was usually up anyway and had already enjoyed the peace and quiet whilst she was out.

I used to end up dropping half of her workmates off as I didn't mind, I think I only ever met most of them whilst they were very drunk.

Now we've got a child and I realised that an uber is £13, no chance.

Back
Top Bottom