Dual 4k Monitor?

Associate
I'm currently putting together a spec for my new build. I'm going to be running an RTX 2080ti. I'm trying to determine if getting 2 x 4k monitors is actually worth it? Or would it be better to have a single 4k monitor and stick with 1 or both of my current 1080p monitors as additional workspace.

The balance is cost / benefit. As I do a lot of development with screen rotated 90 degree, I feed if I do go dual 4k, they have to be IPS to ensure there's no wash out. But then I am thinking that without scaling, 4k may not be best to code on so having a single for gaming/day to day use and keeping my 1080p screens for development may be a better way to go....any thoughts?

Building a new PC needs lots of decisions making...I'm not enjoying that bit! Can't wait to get the parts in hand though and start assembling...

Soldato
Fellow developer here. I use two monitors in a setup that I'm really happy with. A 4k 43", at this size scaling is perfect and it has increased my productivity noticeably. If you opt for smaller you'll have to increase scaling to see so you'll lose "coding estate". The second monitor is 30" 2560x1600 on portrait mode (90 degrees rotated), it offers massive vertical space on the side. Needless to say both are IPS.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I went for a Acer Predator 28" 4k TN Panel screen for my main screen. Keeping one of my Dells as a vertical screen for coding and getting a 27" Predator 1440p 165hz IPS Panel screen for the 3rd screen to replace the other Dell...to kind of future proof my gaming as games become harder for the 2080ti I have (i.e. drop from 4k to 1440p and retain graphics quality). When prices drop, I'll probably get a second 1440p the same to replace the Dell but its a significant investment at the minute and my rig has just cost over £4k...so need to watch the pennies a little. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom