1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual exhaust not connected to back box

Discussion in 'Motors' started by neocon, May 18, 2019.

1. Nasher

Capodecina

But that's just more fakery. The one on the right is the functional one which goes directly to the back box. The one with the baffle is just linked to the side of that but has a longer path, so even when open most of the gasses would escape through the one on the right. All it will do is change the noise.

2. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Yes it's correct, even if it does look crap.

3. Kenai

Capodecina

It still has 4 exhaust exits though, it's not a completely dead, totally fake tip as you seemed to think it was to start with. If you keep stretching your definition we'll be calling anything that isn't a straight pipe from the exhaust manifold fake.

4. Nasher

Capodecina

No it's 2 exits as 2 aren't even connected to the back box. It's 2 that split in to 4 with a baffle on the extra 2 outlets. The additional 2 do literally nothing except make it louder.

5. paradigm

Caporegime

Is the car in the OP a Golf R Estate? I seem to recall the Estate has two fake exhausts. The hatch has 4 connected two of which are valved.

6. Kenai

Capodecina

On the estate this might be true, on the hatch it's definitely 4 genuine exits.

7. NickXX

Soldato

Is that not the point of a sport exhaust?

8. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

It's a very common thing to do these days and there are a lot of reasons for it. It's partly to do with avoiding transmitting noise and vibration into the body (and a way of avoiding heat and dirt-related issues, in some cases) but, more critically, it's to do with insurance claims.

Exhaust systems are complex and costly affairs these days (catalytic converters, valving, DPFs, GPFs, etc.) so OEMs set them up like this; if you have a small rear-end shunt, it doesn't write off what is a very expensive exhaust system.

Plus, as is predominantly the case these days, people just want the look. They don't care about anything else.

9. Nasher

Capodecina

Partly. But dual exhausts also lowers the tone. If you put a single outlet on a high performance car it can really scream.

10. Conscript

Sgarrista

Isn't it odd how much effort we expend making what is essentially a waste pipe look good...and how much debate it generates. It would be just as easy to hide exhaust pipes completely out of sight behind the bumper, yet manufacturers will actually go to the effort of making fake exits, just because we all think that an exhaust pipe should be on show.

What an odd species we are :p

11. Nasher

Capodecina

I wouldn't mind it hidden. I just hate fake stuff on expensive items :/

But preferably, they should use side pipes :D

12. neocon

Mobster

Car is estate, there are two back boxes.

The hatch has a single back box. I think there are no valves on the estate.

13. Finglonga

Wise Guy

The MK7.5 can be turned off and some of the last Mk7's but the early Golfs it needs either to be unplugged or OBD11/VCDS to silence the terrible thing. That was the thing I did the first week I got mine as prefer the real exhaust sound than fake vibrations..

14. neocon

Mobster

Yes you can turn off the sound in individual settings on Mk7 estate.

15. AiiR

Mobster

I noticed this in winter when dual exhaust BM 1 series cars only had exhaust coming out of 1 side. Looks like a poorly made knock-off.

16. Nasher

Capodecina

When you see stuff like this though, it just makes you cringe. All Mercs are like this now:
    [​IMG]

Surely it can't cost much more to fit it properly. Some manufacturers even have the cheek to list a "chrome exhaust" in their features. False advertising or what...

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Those exhausts are real. The second one is closed when the engine is cold.

18. Ev0

Capodecina

Yup on my mk7 hatch in individual you could set the particular setting to ‘eco’ and it switched it off. I forget what the setting was called now!

19. Shivy011

Soldato

As mentioned estate has 2x fake pre ".5" update. Hatch has 2x valved 2x regular

20. mjt

Capodecina

To be fair, you could get that as an option on the 3.0d E53 X5 almost 20 years ago :p