Dual monitor confiurations

Associate
Hi there,

I'm thinking of linking up my 2 monitors soon (when I get my new graphics card sorted), but I'm wondering about a couple of things. My current monitor is a 22" and my old one is a 15", being different sizes and different resolutions, will they play nicely together? If I was to start playing a game on my main monitor, would I be able to have, say MSN open on the other monitor at the same time? If I put a real demanding game on which forced me to lower my resolution, would this affect my other monitor also?

Same concept on Linux, would I be able to have 1 viewport on one monitor and another viewport on my secondary even though they are 2 totally different sizes?

I'm using Windoze XP, Ubuntu and Gentoo, just for reference.

-Aura

Soldato
You can use two monitors, that's not a problem. With regards to lowering the Res of games. I'm pretty sure that if you have your 2nd monitor to the right of your main then when you go into a game with a lower res some of the desktop gets pushed from the main monitor onto the far left of the right hand side monitor (if you get what I mean). If you put your 2nd monitor to the left of your main monitor there should be no problems.

As for MSN and the like, you can have them open on a 2nd screen like I do along with Winamp, but if you wish to select them then you'll have to minimize your game as that application will then take focus, shrinking your game.

Btw, there shouldn't be a problem with different resolutions but sometimes it is easier to have the same size monitors, like I've got two 22" Acer monitors.

Associate
OP
I'd be having my second monitor to the left of mine anyway (only place with any room on my desk), I'd like to have 2 22" monitors but my desk space is pretty limited anyway. I guess its not going to be as useful for gaming as I'd hoped, but at least it'll save me switching windows when I'm coding :rolleyes:

Cheers guys.

-Aura

Associate
Different games seem to affect the monitors in different ways here, the only noticable bit where things ever get messed up for a short period is during the intro videos where the resolution has been played about with for a short period by the program, making everything on the second monitor go larger for a few seconds. Never noticed it fail to go back correctly and only a couple do this.

Back
Top Bottom