dual monitor support with Win7

Associate
Anyone managed to get dual monitors working properly with win 7.
PC spec as in sig, with a TV plugged in via HDMI from the gfx card. I've got the recent ATI drivers installed and CCC and i want to duplicate my desktop onto both screens but have different resolutions refresh rate etc. I can duplicate the desktop onto both TV and monitor, but then i lose the options to set resolution and refresh rate for each screen. If i have extended desktop i can set different res etc, but not if i duplicate the desktop. No problem doing this with XP.

Associate
OP
bugger.

thats very annoying. Cheers for your replies though.
So i guess my only option is to have an extended desktop, which in my circumstances is not ideal at all. I only turn the TV on when i want to watch something so in normal circumstances i don't want my mouse and apps to be falling off my monitor onto the TV. (TV and monitor face different directions and are quite far apart).

Aod

Aod

Soldato
frankly, i find that "clone" mode is largely useless. if you need to show something on the second screen, just move it there :)

Soldato
bugger.

thats very annoying. Cheers for your replies though.
So i guess my only option is to have an extended desktop, which in my circumstances is not ideal at all. I only turn the TV on when i want to watch something so in normal circumstances i don't want my mouse and apps to be falling off my monitor onto the TV. (TV and monitor face different directions and are quite far apart).

Just don't extend unless you've got the TV on. It's only a tick box. :)

Associate
OP
You can't clone unless both screens are the same res.

Thats the problem I've found.

Moredhel said:
Just don't extend unless you've got the TV on. It's only a tick box.

Yes, but in good old XP, if i wanted to watch TV/film, all i had to do was turn the TV on, and start whatever i want to watch. Now i have to turn TV on, turn extend on, move video over to other screen, and remember to undo it all afterwards. Its just more hassle (not much but a little), and i thought Win7 was supposed to be making things easier, not harder.

Soldato
with ultramon you can setup profiles (even hotkeys) that allow you to just switch between a single monitor and extended.

you also get 2 extra buttons added to the top bar that let you move a window to the second screen or extend it across both screens. Not sure how this works in win7 but might be worth giving the trial a go to see if it works anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
in my setup i've got a 24" lcd and a 17" lcp then a 32" in my room for the tv.
i've got a digital vga switch to allow my to flick between my 17" and the tv in my room.

So when I want to watch a movie I press the button on the switc,h double click the profile shortcut in ultramon to change the 2nd screen resolution and then use my logitec universal remote which auto starts media portal on my 2nd screen.

Back
Top Bottom