Dual Monitor using Integrated graphics on MSI B450M MORTAR MAX

Associate
Hello!

I built a PC for my wife back March using this motherboard (the rig you guys specced back then is awesome!).

The main monitor is driven by the HDMI port.

We wanted to add a second monitor to the mix. There's only a displayport socket, so I used a Displayport to DVI cable to connect the PC to a DVI socket on an older monitor.

With the HDMI monitor connected the second monitor stays blank.
With the HDMI unplugged the BIOS pop up appears on the Displayport monitor but Windows doesn't appear (screen goes blank).

I have looked around in the BIOS settings to see if there's something obvious to tick, but there are no "multi monitor" or similar options.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Thanks!

Associate
When you are using the hdmi with the displayport cable in and the other monitor on look at your display properties to see if the second monitor is recognized. If it is you may have to disable the hdmi monitor to allow the displayport to be used. I did have a similar problem with an nvidia 1080 card, when in multi monitors it would not display on the displayport screen.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Will look again.

Also no: I don't know if I can use both at once. But I also can't use the display port on it's own either.

Associate
Information from other sites suggests that you should be able to drive multiple monitors - that being said, they seem to be direct displayport / hdmi connections.

Maybe try:
- setting the resolution very low, windows might be trying to drive the DVI too high.
- removing the hdmi monitor from the device manager
- reboot with just the DVI monitor plugged in.

That might make windows force itself to look for new display device on boot. ( As I understand it, windows boots assuming last hardware setup is still in place to make the boot faster ). An unplugged monitor may not force a refresh look by windows as maybe its just assuming the monitor isn't switched on at the time of boot ?

Associate
OP
Right - thanks all for the help. I've tried running through the steps from Donnie Fisher. No joy.

I'm going to install new drivers later today. That might help.

Failing that is there a cheap graphics card (only intended to drive a secondary monitor for windows 10 applications - no gaming) that anyone can recommend?

Soldato
Running dual monitors from a Ryzen 3 2200G, using an MSI B450, no issues at all. Just swapped HDMI cable for HDMI to DVI and it was fine, didn't work using DP to DVI unless I put my active adapter on it, then it works fine on both dual link and single link mode.

Associate
OP
Running dual monitors from a Ryzen 3 2200G, using an MSI B450, no issues at all. Just swapped HDMI cable for HDMI to DVI and it was fine, didn't work using DP to DVI unless I put my active adapter on it, then it works fine on both dual link and single link mode.

Ahh! thank you! I had no idea there was such a thing as an active adapter. At the moment I'm just using a DP to DVI cable. What does Active mean? That there's a processor in there? I'm googling but it seems you can pay anything from £10 to £150. V confusing

Soldato
Yes, it has some form of video signal convertor/scaler inside, think it was £30. I just have it for testing for professional purposes, so not something Joe blogs might think about.

What inputs do you have on both monitors?

Man of Honour
Ahh! thank you! I had no idea there was such a thing as an active adapter. At the moment I'm just using a DP to DVI cable. What does Active mean? That there's a processor in there? I'm googling but it seems you can pay anything from £10 to £150. V confusing
Active adspters Uses video converter chips inside the adapter for signal conversion.

Associate
OP
Yes, it has some form of video signal convertor/scaler inside, think it was £30. I just have it for testing for professional purposes, so not something Joe blogs might think about.

What inputs do you have on both monitors?
HDMI on the main one.
DVI on the secondary.

Mickyflynn - thanks. That really helps because some cables don't describe themselves as "Active" - they just refer to chips

Soldato
You'd probably have more luck going DP -> HDMI, and then use the HDMI output to go to DVI. No need for any active conversion then, and the DP will happily feed a HDMI signal.

Associate
OP
You'd probably have more luck going DP -> HDMI, and then use the HDMI output to go to DVI. No need for any active conversion then, and the DP will happily feed a HDMI signal.

I'll try this next - nothing else is working. The DP-DVI connection I currently have takes me to the Windows loading screen then it blacks out.

Failing that, what's the cheapest graphics card I could get away with to drive a secondary monitor? Ta!

Associate
I'm not 100% sure if the iGPU and a dedicated card can work concurrently. I have in my mind that the PCIe lanes the Cpu has available either get used for the integrated GPU or the dedicated card, and that it's one or the other.

Probably easier just getting a display port enabled monitor !

Soldato
I'm not 100% sure if the iGPU and a dedicated card can work concurrently. I have in my mind that the PCIe lanes the Cpu has available either get used for the integrated GPU or the dedicated card, and that it's one or the other.

Not saying there is not any additional bottlenecks, however the iGPU and dedicated card can definitely process video at the same time. I know this as I have both my iGPU and dedicated card available, and I dedicate the processing of Amazon Music HD to the iGPU, this leaves the dedicated card free for productive work.

Associate
OP
Right - I'm giving up. I've connected the HDMI to the DVI monitor. That worked.
But connecting the Displayport to the HDMI monitor did not. This monitor POSTs and the windows loading screen appears - then the screen goes black.

So the problem appears to be Windows not recognising the displayport. I'm baffled.

Back
Top Bottom