Dual Pumps D5: benefits

Soldato
I'm curious, are people running flow meters to check if their pump(s) are failing apart from the irregular noises when it's packing in?
Not me no
If it's the impeller you soon hear it
Other than that any failures I have had were total failures
Of the PCB
Ie it didn't gradually get worse
So the large temperature increase soon gave the
Game away without needing a flow meter
I always have CPU and GPU temp in sight anyway
Using free software called sidebar diagnostics

Associate
OP
Ah cool, thanks. Just out of interest, why did you build it that way?

My reasoning for even thinking about it is that I’m interested in flat reservoirs, and I noticed there a basically none with dual pumps as far as I can see, so I got thinking about it, and it sort of sounded like it could be quite a fun and interesting take on a build.

Obviously there are dual pump cylindrical types out there. And there are one or two specific distro plates with dual pumps if I recall correctly, but they’re big and case specific.

Soldato
Basically the 2nd ones for redundancy
Should 1 pump fail it runs fine on the single pump
Why they both have reservoirs
I simply used what I already had
Rather than buy some new parts is one reason
There's also extra quick disconnects that aren't
Visible in the photo behind the GPU etc
So I can swap parts in and out without having to drain the loop
So if one pump fails I can remove it including the reservoir
But still have a reservoir left on the other one

Soldato
Great, thanks for the info mate. I assume they're both on the same speed control? Using a splitter?
They're actually on 2 different motherboard headers
Though set to same speed
If I had less motherboard headers would have used a splitter
Either way should work
As those ones are not powered by the header
Just taking pwm signal from it should be no issues with
2 on one header with a splitter

Associate
I have the XTOP dual pump fed from a Quantum FLT 360 flat reservoir via a short soft tube & adapters. I'm using the Fractal Define 7XL and managed to fit the reservoir in the space on the right at the front using a BarrowBAR-ACC15 radiator bracket and some common angle brackets. That allowed me to fit rads in the front, top and rear and inlet fans in the base. The pump assembly sits on one of the base fans with the hardware provided. I partly did this for aesthetics, but also partly because I didn't want the reservoir itself blocking the airflow from the front rad to the top & rear rads.

I have each pump on a different mobo header. This is necessary if the concept of redundancy is to be properly followed through, however I also found that the pumps are not fully matched. To have each pump at the same rpm (not sure how important that is) there is a 1% difference in the fan curves.

Back
Top Bottom