Ducati 1098 S vs Ducati 848 Evo

Soldato
Right, I am going to be getting either one in the next few weeks, hopefully before crimbo. Now, my limit is £11k, a brand new 848 Evo goes at £11k exactly...

However, thought I would check insurance quotes and to get a 2008 1098S is MUCH cheaper than a 2011 848 Evo.

Bike price wise, I can grab a VERY smart (inc termi's) 1098S for less than £9k leaving me with more than enough to pay for a years insurance, new leathers and a few extra goodies. Which won't be needed as most of the goodies are already there!

So, what do I do?

Never owned a new bike as I always thought it would be cheaper to go 2nd hand, and it's still the obvious case, but the only thing stopping me ringing this guy about his bike tomorrow is the fact its almost got 10k miles on the clock. It's and official Ducati dealership who I would have bought the new 848 from. So yea, I'm a bit confused.

Normally I would slap me in the face and scream '1098S!!! A ******* 1098S... OHLINS, TERMIS!!! YOU FOOL!' but my brain has suddenly perched my chin in my hand and hmm'd out loud.

HELP!

Associate
Nice dilemma to have though ;)

I have ridden both. Now if it was me the more 'usable' bike is the 848 on the road. Power delivery on a 1098 is very brutal and to be honest is not that well suited to UK track days either, due to the tightness of the tracks, an 848 will turn in much quicker.

At somewhere like Jerez its a very different story where not much will touch a 1098 around there. Coming from crashing up and down the box on a 748 you may get a bit bored on a 1098 but make no mistake it is a very special weapon indeed. If the 1098 is still on your radar then I'm sure you can get one with less miles on for the same price.

As for termis and ohlins well as you know it doesnt really matter if the bike is set up properly plus the first thing I did was change out the fork internals to Ktech so not really an issue. Not having termi's is a bit of a loss though but nothing that a bit of saving cant put right :p

So for me , get a new 848EVO , you'll miss the clutch rattle though :D:D

Last edited:
Associate
If you shop around you should get some money off the 848 EVO, perhaps down to or below 10k? Phone around to check dealers stock and ask for their absolute best delivered price for a next day sale. The 2011 848 in black was 10.3k new. All 2012 models are 11k.

Have you considered a used 848? There's been a few 6 month old examples kicking around for around 9k with <500 miles on the clock.

I've ridden neither, but they both look fantastic. 848 is at the top of my list of next bikes to try. Enjoy whichever you choose. :)

Soldato
OP
The insurance is also a huge factor here.

Thanks for the replies, I would love a 1098 S. Would I really become bored after having a 748 for several years? I am going to book in a day soon at Moto Rapido to test ride a 848 evo, hopefully I can get a shot on a 1098 at the same time.

Associate
How much difference is there between the insurance quotes?

I tend to forget about insurance costs living in the middle of nowhere.

Soldato
OP
Now it's very odd.

848 Evo 2011 = £1350
1098S 2008 - £800

Being a young gun still hurts my insurance :( Thats with 2 years NCB as well.

So, as you can see my choices are:

a) get a 1098S, save £2,000, spend £800 of that for a years insurance. Treat my self to some new leathers and gloves.
b) 848 Evo at £10,000 (if I shop around)

My mind has seriously taken a liking at 'a', but as my old dear just said, it depends on what feels more natural to me. Going to have to test ride them both. The 848 has a higher seat by 10mm than the 1098S, 1098S coming in at 830mm height, my 748 being 780mm (had my suspension done for me).

Thankfully I am 6'2" tall haha, so the 748 is a tiny bike for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I couldn't bare to part with 13k on 848 when the 1199 is just around the corner. Sure it's a bit more but do it properly, sell a kidney, whatever it takes.

If that's a definite no go then see how the test ride goes.

Soldato
OP
I couldn't bare to part with 13k on 848 when the 1199 is just around the corner. Sure it's a bit more but do it properly, sell a kidney, whatever it takes.

If that's a definite no go then see how the test ride goes.

The insurance for me on a 1199 would be a joke lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would always buy a bike with a few miles on it, especially a Ducati. It means that it has actually been riden rather than sat in a garage, and 10,000 miles for a 2008 1098s sounds fine to me. If you go for the 1098s, take it to JHP and get the suspension set up for you.
The rear end in particular is just about unusable on the road if you are 5ft 4ins and 10 1/2 stone like me lol. Costs about £150 and is worth every penny. Also worth considering is taking it to Chris at CJS and have it set up with a custom map on his Dyno, costs £425. The difference it makes is startling..........................and that comes from a bike that is already mind blowingly quick.

Soldato
OP
I would always buy a bike with a few miles on it, especially a Ducati. It means that it has actually been riden rather than sat in a garage, and 10,000 miles for a 2008 1098s sounds fine to me. If you go for the 1098s, take it to JHP and get the suspension set up for you.
The rear end in particular is just about unusable on the road if you are 5ft 4ins and 10 1/2 stone like me lol. Costs about £150 and is worth every penny. Also worth considering is taking it to Chris at CJS and have it set up with a custom map on his Dyno, costs £425. The difference it makes is startling..........................and that comes from a bike that is already mind blowingly quick.

I would let the guys at Pro Twins, they did my 748 for me. I fully agree with getting sus setup. It's the first and foremost important 'upgrade' there is, transforms the bike :)

Last time I got it done at Pro Twins it cost me £50.

As for mapping, will be a while until that is on my list of upgrades!

I have decided, a 1098S is my next bike :p

Soldato
The £150 include a longer rear spring in my case. Because i'm light, the OEM spring has no movement in it. Swapping it for a longer one now means that it rides the road better, rather than throwing my bum all over the place lol.
You won't regret going with the 1098s...............................i havn't.

Soldato
OP
The £150 include a longer rear spring in my case. Because i'm light, the OEM spring has no movement in it. Swapping it for a longer one now means that it rides the road better, rather than throwing my bum all over the place lol.
You won't regret going with the 1098s...............................i havn't.

Thought the ohlins does had adjustable height and spring?

Associate
Now it's very odd.

848 Evo 2011 = £1350
1098S 2008 - £800

Being a young gun still hurts my insurance :( Thats with 2 years NCB as well.

So, as you can see my choices are:

a) get a 1098S, save £2,000, spend £800 of that for a years insurance. Treat my self to some new leathers and gloves.
b) 848 Evo at £10,000 (if I shop around)

My mind has seriously taken a liking at 'a', but as my old dear just said, it depends on what feels more natural to me. Going to have to test ride them both. The 848 has a higher seat by 10mm than the 1098S, 1098S coming in at 830mm height, my 748 being 780mm (had my suspension done for me).

Thankfully I am 6'2" tall haha, so the 748 is a tiny bike for me.

i own the 2008 848
to be honest i think its plenty enough for public road also have the enjoyment of thrashing it

in saying that i always sit and dream of the bigger model, but then slap myself telling myself i don't need it

looking at your insurance quote i would go for the 1098s
i feel your pain for insurance i bought mine when i was 27 with only 1y ncb
since 2008 848 just released, not many broker insure it. i paid £1000

buying 2nd hand you dont loose as much money and you don't have to run it slow to run the engine in, cos last owner already ran it in

buying new doesn't really have that much benefits, but it makes you feel god damn good. also you know every bit of history on your own bike.

Soldato
OP
Yea, in this case, the 1098S wins hands down between the 2.

Putting the deposit down today, very excited!

Hopefully, Sunday will be the day :) I am just buying a few bits and bobs to perform my own service as the dealers only do oil and filters, so I need new plugs. Not sure about belts, they said they were done last year, but think I would rather know I got new ones on there. It has brand new tyres. A few other things I will do. Most likely strip it down next week and give it a once over my self.

Although I have every bit of faith in the dealer. Not to mention I have been using these dealers for parts, advice and a few tweaks here and there so know they are reliable, but I also found out the previous owner is a good friend of mine from a Ducati forum and he is also a good friend of the sales guy I was speaking to yesterday!

So I know the 1098S will be in tip top condition as Simon was a perfectionist.

Bargain of the century if you ask me.

Soldato
OP
Shame you couldn't have bought it from him rather than through the dealer, would've been cheaper!

Yea :(

At the time the forums were offline I think hence I had no sight of him selling it.

Forums are down again so will be a nice shock for him to know I picked it up haha, he traded it in for a Multistrada :eek:

Back
Top Bottom