Duckworth Lewis. Bit of a joke

Associate
The Duckworth–Lewis–Stern method is a mathematical formulation designed to calculate the target score for the team batting second in a limited overs cricket match interrupted by weather or other circumstances. It is generally accepted to be the most accurate method of setting a target score.

So today Pakistan needed 136 from 30 balls to beat India. This was based on the above formula, Duckworth Lewis method after rain interrupted play. I don't support Pakistan, but I would find it humiliating to come out to play needing an impossible target.
There was sufficient time to play 14 overs remaining at about 9.5 runs per over needed. Not suggesting that Pakistan would have achieved this but it would have brought excitement to the crowd... and you never know.

They were scoring too low for the majority of the match, they only had themselves to blame. They would have lost anyway had the game gone to full.
They may have had a slim chance had they not lost so many wickets so early on. They looked like they would not have made 50 overs to me to be fair, let alone got close in the chase.

Its seemingly often people complain about the result from DLS, but its better than nothing.

There was a reasonable risk of rain today, both the teams would have known that and should have played accordingly. How would it be fair on India if Pakistan could bat badly for 35 overs then be given a chance to win relatively easily from that position.

Caporegime
The teams know the rules and the weather is usually forecast in advance with great accuracy, if there's a chance of rain you simply need to maintain a decent run rate. If you don't it's your own fault.

It's getting tiring the way people today keep complaining about rules because things didn't transpire how they would have liked, wah wah I'm upset by the rules change them. It's no wonder nearly half the country is trying to overturn Brexit.

I'm not picking on you specifically lunar but we had this last weekend in F1, Vettel breaking clear as day rules and half the F1 population were outraged by a minor penalty.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What I mean to say is there was sufficient time for Pakistan to play the remaining 14 overs. Yes, it is likely that they would lose anyway, but it would be a thrill to see more boundaries and wickets. If it did continue to rain and no chance possible of completing the remaining overs, then indeed award the win to India

Commissario
I went to the local cricket club yesterday and it was a cracking innings from the home team culminating in a final over of 6,6,6,6,2,6.

It’s not relevant but it’s the best over I’ve ever seen. It took the batsman to 99 which I’m sure would have given him the hump.

Back
Top Bottom