Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
OP
Timothée Chalamet has been good in what I've seen him in, which to be honest is only 'Call me by your name' and 'Ladybird'

I wasn't really suggesting he's a bad actor, I think i've only seen him in Homeland years ago, he's just an unknown to me at the moment so I can't judge if he's a good or bad choice.

All the other names announced are well known and well liked personally.

Soldato
One of the only directors around I respect these days. Shame nobody asked him to do the latest Star Wars trilogy, could have been actually watchable.

I really hope this is good, but the potential to be burnt badly by this is huge. I want to believe but I can't board the hype train just yet.

Soldato
I suppose that at least Dune is a fringe IP for the majority of the film going public who won't have, read the book, seen Lynch's film or the TV series. It gives him freedom to make a good movie first and foremost, fan service is not going to make or break this film. Imagine the pressure of making Harry Potter where you can barely step away form the source without upsetting a million kids.

Still I enjoyed Lynch's film despite it's departures from the book and thought the World building was really done well, here's hoping for something spectacular.

Associate
I suppose that at least Dune is a fringe IP for the majority of the film going public who won't have, read the book, seen Lynch's film or the TV series. It gives him freedom to make a good movie first and foremost, fan service is not going to make or break this film. Imagine the pressure of making Harry Potter where you can barely step away form the source without upsetting a million kids.

Still I enjoyed Lynch's film despite it's departures from the book and thought the World building was really done well, here's hoping for something spectacular.

Yup, that's my hope too. Dune universe taps into a wide spanning tropes and genres. It could resonate with the masses who probably haven't heard of it.

I think the Dune fans are way less 'fanboi' types, so as you said shouldn't be a problem.

Main thing for me is the 'look of the universe he goes for. The feel of his Blade runner was spot on and what gives me hope that he gets the Dune pallette.

He better make the saudaukar badass!!

Soldato
Dune 2 was the first RTS, all the subsequent C&C games were based on it.

Yup.

The original Dune game was also ace, but (mostly) not an RTS. Role-playing adventure game, it was pretty decent, you could ride worms and fly ornithopters around, and had to mobilize the fremen to your cause, and eventually start trying to defeat the Harkonnen.

Soldato
Yup.

The original Dune game was also ace, but (mostly) not an RTS. Role-playing adventure game, it was pretty decent, you could ride worms and fly ornithopters around, and had to mobilize the fremen to your cause, and eventually start trying to defeat the Harkonnen.

I remember that as a point and click adventure. I cant remember if that was on the Amiga 500 or early PC (386 or 486).

Soldato
I remember that as a point and click adventure. I cant remember if that was on the Amiga 500 or early PC (386 or 486).

I played it on PC, around the 386 era, VGA graphics.

It was mostly point and click, but there was a world map that you could build armies, ornithopters etc, move them around, and later on summon worms to get about. There were hidden rooms and things in the palace. Decent game, I played it plenty.

Soldato
I finished Dune2 on the MegaDrive!

I knew nothing about the book or film at the time so it was a strange experience, but a great game and the only one like it I ever played on 16bit.

Soldato
I think Oscar Isaac could be a good Leto, I hope they follow the Prussian Officer style of character than Jurgen Procknow exemplified, I found it really worked when thinking of the character as I read the books.

Back
Top Bottom