Duvet's 'Trying to be not so lame' Log

Associate
Might as well start a log.

Age - 36
Height - 6' 3"
Weight - about 13st 10 I think, though I don't really weigh myself much anymore.

Overall, a bit skinny with love handles! And I have a decent array of injurys/issues that I have to contend with.

Goal: Be a bit less lame/more awesome! :D

Associate
OP
Todays workout

Back/Bi/Abs

Straight arm pulldown: 22.5x12, 25x12, 27.5x10
Machine row: 50x10, 70x10, 90x8,8,7,6
NG pulldown: 40x8, 50x8, 60x8, 70x6
1 arm cable row: 30x8, 35x8, 40x8, 45x6

BB curl: 30x10, 35x5, 30x7

Hanging knee raise: 7,6,5
Pallof press: 15x10, 20x10 (each side)

Currently suffering from some pain in my left distal bicep tendon and a long standing lower back issue. Bicep pain not too bad today but the back means you probably won't see me doing deadlifts of BOR any time soon. Also our dumbbells max at 32kg which is why I'm doing one arm cable row instead of DB rows.

Hopefully that covers most questions regarding what may seem like less than ideal exercise choices!

Associate
OP
Good start... are you going to be following a particular programme/regime?

It's a bodybuildingy type split... though I'm far from being a bodybuilder! There's not much point in me following a strength training routine because i can only do 1 of the big three.

Monday: chest/tri/calfs (if I remember calfs)
Tuesday: Back/bi/abs
Weds: rest
Thursdays: Legs/abs
Fridays: Shoulders/Calfs
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

Though i sometimes jig it about a bit if I've got stuff on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Spent about an hour tonight doing mobility stuff. Mainly trying MWOD and some cressey stuff for t-spine, plus some stretching a rolling of pecs.

Leg workout tomorrow morning.

Associate
OP
First leg session in about a month. Didn't have any really structure and had a few pains along the way.

Front Squats
bar x 12
40kg x 5
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
50kg x 5
60xg x 5
60kg x 5
50kg x 5

Since we have no rack I have to clean these into position... and i don't really know how to clean. For reference, my 1 rep max from a rack about 3 months ago was 80kg :(

RDLs
50kg x 10
50kg x 10
60kg x 7

Felt some pain in left lower back so stopped :( Used to be able to do 100kg+ on these.

Split Squats
22kg x 8
22kg x 6

Felt some pain in left knee so stopped :(

Seated leg curl
30kg x 12
35kg x 12
40kg x 10
50kg x 10
60kg x 5

Leg press
100kg x 20
130kg x 15

Lots of sad faces in that workout! I clearly have issues with the left hand side of my body.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did more foam rolling and ball rapage of the back last night, then shoulders this morning...

DB shoulder press
14kg x 12
20kg x 8
24kg x 8
28kg x 3 :(
24kg x 7

Lateral raises
8kg x 12
10kg x 12
12kg x 8

Rear delt raise
6kg x 12
8kg x 12
8kg x 10

Cable lateral
2.5kg x 12
3.75kg x 12
5kg x 10

Prone Ys
4kg x 8, 7

Face pull
10kg x 12
15kg x 12
20kg x 10

Calf raises
80kg x 13
80kg x 10
60kg x 16

A pain free workout. Finally back up to about the same pressing as I was before my shoulder injury, which I think was maybe a year ago.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't get on with back squatting plus we don't have a rack, just smith. I do what I can.

I should find a better gym but this one is really convenient for going in the morning before work.

Associate
OP
There are but my current gym is ideal location wise. It's 15 mins on the bus then when I've finished its a 5 min walk to the office. I have to go in the morning because evenings are family time.

When I've got my mobility sorted and can lift properly I may review the gym situation.

Currently spending Friday night watching MWOD and stretching/balling myself.

Associate
OP
Chest/Tri

Bench
bar x 12
40kg x 8
50kg x 8
60kg x 8
70kg x 8
Hoping this will improve now I'm working on my mobilty. I'd like 100kg at some point this year even if its just 1 rep.

Pec Deck
40kg x 12
50kg x 12
60kg x 10

Inc DB
22kg x 8
24kg x 7
24kg x 5
Not done these for a while as they usually result in pain around my left clavicle

Dips
BW x 8
10kg x 8
20kg x 6
20kg x 4
BW is about 86/87kg.

CGBP
40kg x 12
45kg x 12
50kg x 9

Skullcrushers
EZ bar + 20kg x 12
EZ bar + 25kg x 7
EZ bar + 25kg x 3
Just gave up on the last set, I'd had enough.

Associate
OP
Back/Bi/Abs

Straight arm pulldown
22.5x12
25x12
27.5x11

Machine row
50x8
70x8
90x8
90x8
90x8
90x8
Could go heavier but machine maxes at 90. Might shove this toward the end of the workout after exercises I can still increase the weight on.

NG pulldown
40x8
50x8
60x8
70x7

1 arm cable row
30x8
35x8
40x8
45x7

BB row
40x12
40x12
40x12
Did this just to see if my lower back could handle it. It could just but probably wouldn't like it if I went heavier.

BB curl
Put wrong weight on bar so ended up trying to do 40kg. Got a few reps before feeling a twinge in left bicep so sacked it off.

Hanging knee raise: 8,7,6
Pallof press: 15x10, 20x8 (each side)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What is this lower back issue you speak of?

Well it's undiagnosed because my GPs don't seem interested in physical issues. About 10 years ago I ****** my lower back fooling around with my wife (I should point out she isn't fat)! After months of pain/arguing with GP/eventual physio referral it was very vaguley diagnosed as 'probably a prolapsed disc'.

Anyway, had issues with lower back ever since and seems to be quite bad at the minute. Would be surprised if I could even DL 70kg for a few reps! I'm going to get stuck into mobility work with a vengeance when I get my Supple Leopard book. I was doing some MWOD stuff the other day and it would seem I have pretty tight hamstrings, poor thoracic mobility plus I've had ATP for ages.

Man of Honour
Well it's undiagnosed because my GPs don't seem interested in physical issues. About 10 years ago I ****** my lower back fooling around with my wife (I should point out she isn't fat)! After months of pain/arguing with GP/eventual physio referral it was very vaguley diagnosed as 'probably a prolapsed disc'.

Anyway, had issues with lower back ever since and seems to be quite bad at the minute. Would be surprised if I could even DL 70kg for a few reps! I'm going to get stuck into mobility work with a vengeance when I get my Supple Leopard book. I was doing some MWOD stuff the other day and it would seem I have pretty tight hamstrings, poor thoracic mobility plus I've had ATP for ages.

To be honest, until you find out what is wrong and correct/account for it, you stand a reasonable chance of make the problem either worse or just sitting with it, unresolved.

I had horrific chronic back pain for around three+ years until I started weight lifting properly, thanks to a decent physio and good instruction.

I would honestly suggest getting a decent physio to look at it and help you recover, because there is nothing more misery-inducing than lumbar pain that then goes on to ruin everything else.

Associate
OP
When it first happened the physio diagnosed me has having weak/inhibited core & glutes. I did all the exercises she gave me and it got better... then I stopped doing my exercises, sat in a chair nearly all my waking hours and things got bad again!

I'm assuming similar things are still the issue, but a new diagnosis wouldn't hurt.

Did you get an MRI or anything?

Man of Honour
Sounds curiously similar to my problem... poor lumbar stability from sitting in a chair forever (and some other issues), fixed by decent core work, huge amount of mobility, lady exercises and weightlifting. :D

He also initially suspected I had a slipped/prolapsed disc when I first described the issue, too. :)

EDIT: I went to a GP, as the problem was something that had existing for so long. The GP sent me for blood tests and x-rays for markers for serious degenerative diseases (bamboo spine) and they all came back clear. So she just said she had no idea, and offered me prescription painkillers, and a referral to an NHS physio. The NHS physio sent me a list of exercises to do on a piece of paper and didn't even ask for an examination.

I asked my work physio (yes, my employer does pay for a full-time physio), who was an experienced sports bod, and he spotted the issue (two of them, actually) within around three minutes of examining me. He also pointed out the stuff the NHS physio had suggested was either not really worth my time (I wasn't fat or an OAP) or just wrong/out-dated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
what do you mean by 'lady exercises'?! :confused:

I might see if I get get my doctor to refer me to a private physio which my health cover will pay for. Last time I saw an NHS physio it was miles away and in office hours which was not exactly convenient.

Man of Honour
what do you mean by 'lady exercises'?! :confused:

I might see if I get get my doctor to refer me to a private physio which my health cover will pay for. Last time I saw an NHS physio it was miles away and in office hours which was not exactly convenient.

Glute med/* exercises.

The ones that you'll see in exercise videos where chicks lie on their sides and lift a single leg up in the air, clamshells, etc. :D

Back
Top Bottom