• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DVI to HDMI for LCD TV quality and questions.

Ok here is a question. Say I did get a TV with only HDMI imput. If I connect my PC to it using a DVI to HDMI cable, could I damage it?

Thanks. BTW, I'm getting the panasonic 26LXD60 for £530 if you need specifics.

OzyOly said:
Ok here is a question. Say I did get a TV with only HDMI imput. If I connect my PC to it using a DVI to HDMI cable, could I damage it?
Hurt it? No. The TMDS signals of DVI-D "are" essentially HDMI, apart from sound, HDCP and a few bandwidth issues. If it takes 720p and its PAL, feed it 1280 x 720 @ 50Hz over DVI and it will work, assuming it's not looking for HDCP. You might have a few overscan issues, but hey nothing's perfect.

Last edited:
fornowagain said:
Hurt it? No. The TMDS signals of DVI-D "are" essentially HDMI, apart from sound, HDCP and a few bandwidth issues. If it takes 720p and its PAL, feed it 1280 x 720 @ 50Hz over DVI and it will work, assuming it's not looking for HDCP. You might have a few overscan issues, but hey nothing's perfect.

Well my graphics card has 720p60 but also has 'custom HD'(?) settings. So I will play about with it when my TV arrives in 2 weeks.

OzyOly said:
Well my graphics card has 720p60 but also has 'custom HD'(?) settings. So I will play about with it when my TV arrives in 2 weeks.
Look at a program called Powerstrip . If you get stuck, it can create pretty much any custom resolution/frequency you could need.

Last edited:
Yes but not all hdmi works with pc's and most that do don't do 1to1 over vga i think LG do,some people have had problems over vga 1to1 with tosh

Back
Top Bottom