D'ya think i've killed it?

Associate
Afternoon all,

Yesterday i foolishly powered up my MSI NF3 NEO Platinum mobo with the CMOS jumper set to clear. Obviously the system did not post but after a couple of power cycles it seemed to completely give up the ghost (no fans, no leds, nothing!).

I later noticed the position of the CMOS jumper but returning it back to the proper location has not fixed the problem - do you think i've killed my board?

Cheers
Dan.

Associate
OP
Yeah i'm a little suspicous...

Coz it'll spin the fans up (but not post) with the 12v mobo rail disconnected, when its connected then it i get nothing.

Tried two different PSU's, and disconnecting all but the essentials but still no go?!

Dan.

Associate
even with cmos jumper in the wrong place it should still work as all the jumper does is disconnect the power from the battery and with the pc still on effectivly your cutting out that circuit

have you tried disconnecting the motherboard completly interms of the kettle plug and trying to cmos clear it for a good 10 seconds then leaving the kettle plug out for a few mins

once you put the plug back in and power it up then everything should work

I do know that faulty motherboards refuse to switch off when holding down the puwer button

Associate
OP
I'm thinking the CMOS jumper is a bit of a red herring as i've never seen a board fail to power up due to the CMOS jumper.

Unfortunately though i still think it's a gonna!

Anyone know where i stand with regards to warranty? I purchased the board back in 2005 and according to the MSI website i have a 3 year warranty - do you think i could apply for an RMA??

Dan.

Soldato
Don't see why not. Just make sure you remove any evidence of tampering. Take the battery out to clear the CMOS so they can't see if you've been overclocking it or not.

Back
Top Bottom