Dying monitor - replacement suggestions?

Associate
My yamakasi catleap is finally giving up the ghost. Whilst I had wanted to hold out for a fast 4k monitor, I'm not sure I can deal with 43"+ as the only options. Therefore I'm thinking I curtail the budget and expectations slightly and get something to plug the gap for the next 3 to 5 years.

So going from 27" 1440p 60hz IPS, what would be the suggestion for a budget of up to £500? I would want something that upped the specs slightly, so wider, faster, higher resolution or bigger screen size but appreciate I can't have it all.

Mainly office work, bit of photo stuff and some light gaming. Rocking an nvidea 670 right now but looking to upgrade that soon.

Associate
OP
Think this would be my shortlist, unless there's something better:

I like the idea of an ultrawide for both gaming and productivity. I think I'm erring towards VA for better blacks as I only ever sit front-on to the monitor and can make the room dark.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,359.87 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Edit: Should also add Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 to the list since it uses the same panel as the AOC ultrawide and possibly doesn't have some of the flickering issues reported with the AOC.

Last edited:
Associate
I keep hearing that VA panels have slow response times, I'm a bit on the fence if I'll get the AOC or wait for the GB3466WQSU-B1 to be available again.

Anyone able to comment on AOC CU34G2X/BK in terms of response?

Associate
OP
I keep hearing that VA panels have slow response times, I'm a bit on the fence if I'll get the AOC or wait for the GB3466WQSU-B1 to be available again.

Anyone able to comment on AOC CU34G2X/BK in terms of response?

I keep seeing people giving VA panels a bad rep vs IPS but can't really discern whether there is something fundamentally wrong with them or if people have just got stuck in this IPS-is-better echo chamber and are simply basing their own opinions on that of others. The deeper blacks and increased contrast of VA certainly appeals to me but I also wonder whether I'd notice the negatives in moving from an IPS. I also read issues around ghosting on VA, which I assume is somewhat related to your point on response times, but equally don't know how my current monitor performs in that regard and whether it would be noticable. I mean it's all well and good being a monitor reviewer who has been spoilt with the best-of-the-best but for us mere mortals who don't know any better and are funding things from our own wallets, is it an issue.

From a different thread on the Ilyama GB3466WQSU-B1:

I believe it will be the same panel as all new 34" UW 144Hz 1500R VA
Xiaomi https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/259c1bb0
AOC https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5e071c5b
Lenovo https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/b4d61efd
Nixeus https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/b2de1c36
So I guess you can check reviews for them and see if you like it. General panel performance should be the same across them all, only difference will be design, connections, and the stand.

So those reviews might tell you a bit about response times in lab conditions.

Whilst OC aren't giving an estimated arrival date, other competitors are suggesting stock from 17 July on the Ilyama. I think I'm now erring towards the Ilyama, either in the curved VA or flat IPS spec, but not sure which yet.

Soldato
Hi

I would recommend you an Ultrawide for sure, they are better for productivity and the extra immersion for gaming is great. Only issue is your GTX 670 will show it's age with this monitor when gaming but you can always drop down to a lower resolution or drop some settings until you upgrade the GPU.

IPS would be my personal choice because they do perform better i regards to pixel response and viewing angles too but then VA has a much higher contrast so you get deeper blacks and less back light bleed at night in my experience, so it's a bit of a tossup you have to decide.

Cant link to it but i have just seen a Philips 34"100hz VA ultrawide on offer for under £500

This one.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1560...itor-34-inches-usbc-webcam-ethernet-kvm-dcip3

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi

I would recommend you an Ultrawide for sure, they are better for productivity and the extra immersion for gaming is great. Only issue is your GTX 670 will show it's age with this monitor when gaming but you can always drop down to a lower resolution or drop some settings until you upgrade the GPU.

IPS would be my personal choice because they do perform better i regards to pixel response and viewing angles too but then VA has a much higher contrast so you get deeper blacks and less back light bleed at night in my experience, so it's a bit of a tossup you have to decide.

Cant link to it but i have just seen a Philips 34"100hz VA ultrawide on offer for under £500

This one.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1560...itor-34-inches-usbc-webcam-ethernet-kvm-dcip3

Thanks for the comments.

As much as I hate to admit that youth is escaping me, realistically I have to acknowledge that I'm mostly using the computer for working from home in daylight. So does that lend itself more to ips or va? Gaming usage probably needs to be ignored as it's just not happening much these days.

Soldato
Thanks for the comments.

As much as I hate to admit that youth is escaping me, realistically I have to acknowledge that I'm mostly using the computer for working from home in daylight. So does that lend itself more to ips or va? Gaming usage probably needs to be ignored as it's just not happening much these days.

Go for an IPS panel then it's the best your going to get, you will get better viewing angles good colour reproduction and decent response times. VA panels have come a long way over the years but they are still not quite quick enough yet.

Associate
OP
Go for an IPS panel then it's the best your going to get, you will get better viewing angles good colour reproduction and decent response times. VA panels have come a long way over the years but they are still not quite quick enough yet.

Thanks. So that seems to leave two options, although can't see that spending twice as much on the LG screen would make sense given I'm talking about this being a stop-gap. The might be a couple of other options if I go down to 100Hz refresh rate.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,213.68 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Edit: Also Acer Nitro XV340CK​

Soldato
The LG is not worth twice the price of the Iiyama and you won't find a better specified monitor for £400 than the Iiyama it's just a shame there is no stock anywhere until later this month.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, saw that it doesn't come with a DP cable. Seems a bit tight!

For the same basic spec, not sure the extra £150 on the Acer would be justified. Guess I'm waiting a week or two, during which time I'll probably change my mind and go back to a 43" VA panel!

Soldato
Yeah, saw that it doesn't come with a DP cable. Seems a bit tight!

For the same basic spec, not sure the extra £150 on the Acer would be justified. Guess I'm waiting a week or two, during which time I'll probably change my mind and go back to a 43" VA panel!

Yeah for £550 they could at least have given you a DP cable and i think it is overpriced in the uk when you can buy the same model in the US for around $400 mark so a good £130 cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom