E46 M3 vs......

Soldato
OP
gord said:
OT: Your yellow M3 wasnt in Southampton today was it?

No, there is more than one, although none with the incorrect coloured shark fin ;)

I still would like to know the definative reason for the tractor wining and what I would have to change to win.

It was brought up today (yup we are still discussing it at work) what if both vehicals had cogs for wheels (same size as their respective normal wheels) and were running on toothed tracks to give both infinite grip?

Surely then I would win as traction is my current downfall?

Permabanned
weight (as mass/stationery down force) and traction plus gearing are the main reasons (definitive reasons) as to why you would loose.

Not too dis-similar, but think about a lorry rig. Take the trailer off and those trucks (having more grip due to more wheels, etc) can show a clean pair of heels to a lot of vehicles upto 50mph

Associate
Think about what RPM your peak torque is at then imagine how your clutch will feel trying to grip the flywheel spinning at that rpm while it's stationary :)

The tractor will develop peak torque at a lot lower rpm, the clutch will be very powerful and possibly encased in oil, add to that the gearing, the huge wheels and it wins every time!

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Steve said:
so concrete in the back (plus wood burning stove, bookcase and comfy chairs) uber clutch and I am there

M3s rule!!!!!!
Id say you brake your a driveshaft/gear/something even trying it.

Soldato
Steve said:
No, there is more than one, although none with the incorrect coloured shark fin ;)

I still would like to know the definative reason for the tractor wining and what I would have to change to win.

It was brought up today (yup we are still discussing it at work) what if both vehicals had cogs for wheels (same size as their respective normal wheels) and were running on toothed tracks to give both infinite grip?

Surely then I would win as traction is my current downfall?

Then its a battle of the clutches slipping the torque in, its not like the engine would be running at its max output, that would mean clutch fully engaged and full throttle, at this point the engine would have already stalled anyway.

Worth noting here peak power figure has nothing to do with what would happen.

Back
Top Bottom