E60 535d - Chirping / 'Crickets' noise from engine bay

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

My car has suddenly developed a sound from the engine bay, which kind of sounds like and has the same rhythm and the sound that crickets make!

Anyone got any ideas what it may be?

Thanks,
Mal

Soldato
It's the fuel pump, I had this exact problem with my GT86 (pretty common on the 2012-2015 ones) until it was replaced under warranty.

Soldato
It might not actually be a problem, just annoying. With some certain fuel causes it and others don't, so it may go away after filling up again.

This is the sound right?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Bit of a development on this one!

This morning I heard a pop and then steam coming from the bonnet and the coolant light came on.

For breakdown out and they said it's the auxiliary belt and the water pump. The pump bearing had probably gone and seized, and shredded the belt.

Getting it sorted early next week - hopefully it's nothing else!

Mal

Caporegime
Bit of a development on this one!

This morning I heard a pop and then steam coming from the bonnet and the coolant light came on.

For breakdown out and they said it's the auxiliary belt and the water pump. The pump bearing had probably gone and seized, and shredded the belt.

Getting it sorted early next week - hopefully it's nothing else!

Mal
What’s the sod’s law likelihood that once the belt & pump is fixed the noise remains? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
How did you select the garage for the recovery tow - where you have had work done before ? or BM themselves,
I always mean to find a regular servicing garage close to home, as opposed to work, say.

hope it's just the pump - (maybe a bmw plastic vs metal impeller dilema, like e36 used to have?)

Back
Top Bottom