E6600 With Akasa AK-961 Temps

Associate
E6600 With Akasa AK-961 Temps - Need some advice on how to reduce if need be?

Hi all,
Having a bit of problems with my cooling on my system. Currently using core temp and my e6600 is running at 2.8ghz at about 58/57 degrees c on idle and ~64 when running 3d mark 06.
I`ve just fitted the fan and put it straight on as it had pre applied thermal compound.
My case has an exhaust fan at the back and a kind of tube that fits over the akasa cpu fan.

using the Asus fan temp tool (from the bios)its trying to run at 100% all the time because of the temp and sounds like a plane!

any ideas on how i could cool this down?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bios cpu fan speed is approx 2170, i`m running this in Qfan mode

opt 3 fan speed (think this is the case fan) is running at 2100

cpu 50 deg and motherboard 40deg (also from bios).

Vcore is 1.37v (in bios)

This is with the side of my case off (on my brand new build!!).

Computer has been running for 15 mins from cold (running in bios)

Specs are as follows:
E6600
ASUS8800GTX
ASUS P5N32-E SLI (680i)
DDR2 2GB (667)
Cooling fan as per previous post
ez-cool 650w psu

my case looks very similar to this :
http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/resources/productImages/detail/2512-1048.jpg

I`ve brought some more thermal paste today (Akasa hi spec 450)
Is there anything i could do with this to lower the temps or is this considered ok? only i`d like to overclock more but i`m VERY worried about doing anything to it becuase my temps seem so much higher than other people e6600`s

Last edited:
Associate
OP
just looking around at the other e6600 temp and does anyone think it may be my case that is causing the high temps? even with the side removed?

Associate
OP
i`ll try it now mate!
any idea why it was set at that?
also noticed that i have another fan attached to the front of the case. However, there is the large plastic "on" button and connector infront of it with no ventilation in the front at all!! WTF??

Associate
I was overclocking and wondering why my temp seem to be going up and up. Then I realised that them vcore was set to auto, so every time I wanted more clock speed the 'clever' mobo would respond with loads of vcore!

Something like that in this situation wouldn't surprise me.

Cases are wierd eh? Any air coming through that front fan?

Associate
OP
just seems to blow around what happens to be behind it in the case.

do i just alter the vcore in the bios menu? (i.e. set from auto?)
just tried it then ran the bios straight on boot up and it still read the previous 1.37? is there anything else i need to try?

Associate
OP
hmm still no luck, there an option in the voltage monitor to "ignore" but that ain`t going to change anything is it. {edit: been doing all this in the bios}
Is there anything else you can think of locking it out?

also, shall i leave it on overnight to let the paste cure?

Last edited:
Associate
i`ll try it now mate!
any idea why it was set at that?

Yeah Asus mobos are quite bad at giving you high Vcore levels when you want to OC. You should be able to set the Vcore value manually in the bios so I am not sure why it isn't allowing you to set it to your own desired value.

Try getting the Vcore value in Windows using CPU-Z. Also try a a complete restore of your system settings to un oc'd values. New Asus boards have an option that allows you to do this within the BIOS failing that just input the stock vaues yourself or if you really want to mess with the jumpers to clear the CMOS just read your boards manual to find out how it's done.

Boot to Windows see what value it gives you for Vcore and then manually set the FSB and Vcore values in the Bios at the next boot. DO NOT USE ASUS AI TO DO IT.

I found that whilst Ocing my board it would tend to ramp the VCore voltage up but due to memory issues would totally fail to increase the overall speed of the CPU so I ended up with a stock speed E6600 that was using 1.35V.

Associate
OP
so correct me if i`m wroing but this is what i`ll try later:

Initially try altering the vcore in windows using CPU-Z. Will this work with the mobo vcore clocking setting at "auto"? if so i`ll give it a try.

If this doesn`t work then:

Completely restore stock settings on the mb. Dropping the fsb back to 1066 (2.4Ghz), (linking the memory back into the fsb (currently unlinked) then i should see the vcore automatically drop as the mobo copmensates?

Reboot and check settings in Core Temp.

If its back to stock (what vcore is stock?) then reboot and overclock in the bios setting again. which order shall i do this in as i`ve only o/c`ed the fsb settings before?

Cheers for the help :)

shal ithen

Associate
OP
um, not sure if i understand... you mean change the voltage to the displayed one in the bios (hardware monitor) after i have clocked the fsb? (instead of having it set to auto)??

Associate
OP
just tried putting the fsb back to normal and that lowered the volt to 1.29. so i set it to this in the over voltage section of the bios. Re booted and it still went to 1.37

any ideas what else could be restraining it from letting me lower the volts whilst its overclocked? :confused: :confused:

Associate
OP
right, used cpu z and it seemed like it is running at ~1.248
in core temp its at 1.325

played around a bit more (with vcore apparantly set at 1.29), i lowered the multiplier to 8 and clocked up to 2.9 gig.

was getting temps up to 62 deg in core temp during the 32m calc cycle but averaged 59 in core 0 and 56 in core 1.
It completed the lot in 19mins 30 secs.
Are these temps and calc times ok??
what could i do to reduce the temps?

Associate
OP
i`m still getting these temps with both the standard and uprated fan. the computer is only 2 weeks old so could it be that i`ve got a faulty chip?

intel tat won`t run so is there any other programs/things i can do to diagnose whats giving me the high temps?

Back
Top Bottom