Early Marillion - Not Aged Well?

Soldato
As we had a Pink Floyd thread the other day, thought I would post this little anecdote.

Missus upstairs doing something, decided to pop Misplaced Childhood on the old Bose.

Missus arrived back downstairs and announced, "Christ, what's that - music to hang yourself by?" (She does have a particular wit). Probably not helped by the dreary weather, but I have to admit she has a point!

Associate
This, and ditto the listening. But why is music bad because it's depressing? Some of the best music of all time is music to slit your wrists to.

Definitely agree there. I love Nick Cave, mainly because of his dark melodies/lyrics which I find really beautiful in most cases (not Murder Ballads though even if it is a great album). But one of my friends called it "suicide music".

Man of Honour
I remember playing the Cowboy Junkies at work and being asked to turn it off after four tracks because it was "too depressing". (Lay It Down if anyone else is a fan.)

Soldato
OP
Personally I think they peaked with "Brave", after that it all started to go a bit downhill (too much Hogarth influence?).

I just find I key more on to other and more contemporary prog artists these days - Pendragon (though Nick Barratt's obsession with writing lyrics about his ex wife gets a bit wearing), Mostly Autumn, The Mystery and Anathema to name but a few.

Anyhow, for depressing, Pink Floyd's Final Cut takes some beating!

Soldato
never listened to the full album but I like Kayleigh and Lavender (heard on Planet Rock radio) and Heart of Lothian that came up in a spotify recommended thing once

Man of Honour
In my attic I've got Marillion bootleg cassettes from when they used to play a local pub called the Wagon & Horses in Meir but they never did anything for me.
Last year a mate convinced me to play the album Marbles and it wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally I think they peaked with "Brave", after that it all started to go a bit downhill (too much Hogarth influence?).

I just find I key more on to other and more contemporary prog artists these days - Pendragon (though Nick Barratt's obsession with writing lyrics about his ex wife gets a bit wearing), Mostly Autumn, The Mystery and Anathema to name but a few.

Anyhow, for depressing, Pink Floyd's Final Cut takes some beating!

Anathema is a great band. They were also the last band I saw before everything closed down due to covid earlier in the year.

Associate
Anathema were a great band - they have called it a day unfortunately.

Back in the day I loved Marillion but agree all the Fish stuff has aged badly - cant bear to listen to it now.

On the other hand the latest Hogarth stuff is fantastic - Fear is a remarkable album for a band at that stage in their careers and the RAH gig was one of the best I have been too. They are great live and Hogarth is a true frontman.

Soldato
OP
Shame if Anathema have finished, missus has wrapped up the latest (last?) album for one of my Xmas presents.

The other good prog band is Arena, their lead guitarist is superb.

Associate
Shame if Anathema have finished, missus has wrapped up the latest (last?) album for one of my Xmas presents.

The other good prog band is Arena, their lead guitarist is superb.

They have just gone on an indefinite hiatus due to covid as they weren't sure how long the pandemic will last so took a hiatus so the bandmembers would be able to find other ways to make money. They had just started a tour when everything closed down (think they had done 2 or 3 of the gigs on the tour).

Associate
Saw Marillion as a support act to Jethro Tull in 82. Then saw them again in 83. During their peformance of Grendel ( a rip off of Genesis' Supper's Ready), someone behind me shouted "A flower". I have never seen a look as evil or intimidating as the one lead singer Fish gave the guy. He stared at him down for a good minute. Awesome stage presence.

Associate
They have just gone on an indefinite hiatus due to covid as they weren't sure how long the pandemic will last so took a hiatus so the bandmembers would be able to find other ways to make money. They had just started a tour when everything closed down (think they had done 2 or 3 of the gigs on the tour).

No its more permanent than that I am afraid.

Associate
It aged better than Fish's mullet that's for sure, despite his name the mullet didn't last long.

Music wise seeing as I'm not really a Marillion fan, but just reading this topic has made Kayleigh totally stuck in my head despite not having heard it for years - I'd say it has aged well.

Kayleigh is one of those songs you can remember the entire song easily, not just the chorus or another catchy part. Definitely gets credit for one of the catchiest pop/rock songs of the 80's that will likely endure a long time.

Associate
Off the back of this thread I actually listened to the Script for a Jesters Tear album on the train yesterday. Still does it for me. Was good to listen to it after it being quite a few years since I last played it

Back
Top Bottom