Easiest / neatest way to get DSL cable from one side of hallway to other

Soldato
It sounds like an easy thing to do, but I can get my head around the "best" way to do it.

One side of my hallway has my BT master socket, the other side has power, my router and my desktop.

Currently, I've just got the cable running along the floor covered by a rug...

Options are;

Go down. We are actually getting new carpet soon, so I could probably have a play easy enough. The floor is solid concrete, so I guess I would have to cut a groove into the concrete to prevent having a raised bit of carpet? My DIY skills are not without limits. I've never used and angle grinder, but whatever, I guess I could give it a go lol.

Go up. Drill 2 holes in ceiling. Put wire through floor of 2nd floor. I guess this is more sensible. Seams kinda silly to go through the ceiling for like 1.5m, then drop down. Its also going to make the cable longer than the other route, which is not ideal for a DSL cable.

What do you think?

Don
Personally, I'd leave the BT socket where it is, then run power to it and ethernet cable(s) from it to a switch / central location.

Best to do work of this nature when the mrs is out.

Soldato
BT won't move a master socket unless they think it needs to be moved. And getting a hold of a engineer to do so is a pain as you have to do it through your ISP and there will be a charge. £50 atleast. Might be cheaper to get a plug socket fitted near your master socket tbh. You could even do it your self it isnt hard running cables under floor board etc. Google/youtube will sort you out.

Associate
Kinda depends on what the engineer being called out is for. I've had mine moved free of charge when the engineer arrived because:
1. Noise impacting on speed.
2. It was a pain to get at in the kitchen corner (and moved it into the living room where I could get easy access to it as well as to reduce chance of moisture causing problems from the humidity from Kitchen).
3. Found 2 points on the BT Network that was causing problems. (So I think the engineer considered moving the master socket as a bug hunt manuever)
I think point 3 primarily made it a free move. But yeah, kinda depends on what the callout for the engineer is for. Most of the time you will be charged, but if you catch the right moments, it'll be free.

Soldato
If you’re using underlay or thick carpet you might get away with running some flat network cable under it, bit of a bodge but since it’s such a short distance.

Back
Top Bottom