Easyriders BMW Refurb thread

Caporegime
OP
To fit two new wings and spray them they quoted me 250 quid....which I thought was good...they just told me to get bmw wings regardless of colour rot free.

I have a black one incoming that another ocuk forum member has picked up for me as the eBay seller wouldn't ship...

Soldato
Pretty much the same as how my 03 plate e46 went, although it didn't look as bad as that maybe silver shows it up more, front wings were relatively easy to sort out, bought some patent part ones for £25 and got a mate to respray them for nothing which was a result, I did the rears myself and it didn't look too bad, how long it would last for is anyones guess but I did grind back to bare metal, used some of that paint on anti rust stuff that goes black, then a bit of filler to smooth, primer and then colour and laquer, no doubt 6 months or so down the line a few bubbles would have appeared but I got shot after doing it :) Will be interested to see how it turns out, I quite fancy buying another E46 as a bit of a project

Soldato
300 quid to get it through its mot...swirl flaps removed...new wing bought for 25 quid....

The car drives well is full leather in great condition inside...

In answer to your question ...yes....it's not a lot of time and effort on my part...when the works done I don't think I could buy a car I know the history of,enjoy and had all the work it's had done for 1k

I'm sort of attached to her now...what I have learnt in the last couple of weeks is that e46 parts are dead cheap now...got a brand new front exhaust down pipe and cat and flexi for 117 quid..once she looks the part again I can see her easily doing another 100k

The guy at the garage said other than the wings etc...mechanically she is in very good shape.

Fair enough, it's hard to let go of something when you get attached, know the feeling :p

Caporegime
I thought a slight bit of rust on my rear arch was bad....I get the sea air, but damn I'd hate driving that in that state.

Don't do black kidney grills, that's so rude boy.

Soldato
Sea air is a big problem.

My 12 year old e46, despite the unrepaired door and stone dings hasn't got a spot of rust other than the licence plate screws. Even the leaky rear window wiper jet (now replaced) didn't cause any rust when leaking into the boot and lid for what must have been years.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Really? I would say this is a particularly bad example...my 2003 car has no rust.

From what ive seen yours is rarer by being clean than his is unusual for having rust. I have seen a lot of E46's lately and they are almost without fail rusty, some extremely badly. These cars seem seriously prone to it for whatever reason.

Soldato
From what ive seen yours is rarer by being clean than his is unusual for having rust. I have seen a lot of E46's lately and they are almost without fail rusty, some extremely badly. These cars seem seriously prone to it for whatever reason.

I agree, when I noticed a few bubbles first appear on mine I was really gutted, then I remember looking at almost every E46 of similar age and noticed the majority were the same

Caporegime
OP
I agree, when I noticed a few bubbles first appear on mine I was really gutted, then I remember looking at almost every E46 of similar age and noticed the majority were the same

Yeah I feel your pain....I saw bubbles appear on the wings two years ago....:(

She deserves a make over :p

In fact I had to change the front bulb in the headlight the other day...gutted....first one since I got the car:D

Caporegime
OP
Nice to see that you're putting some money into saving it rather than scrapping it.

My only recommendations would be to make sure that the replacement wings are stripped of paint and are corrosion free - soda blasting works nicely.

Once it's all done, hit the common spots with this stuff:
http://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50

The bodyshop is highly recommended, They do remaps too.:)

Soldato
Crikey, that's rusty. My 03 MG ZT doesn't have a single spot, even underneath - and that was made by Brummies! :p

The swirl flap issue was always a bit daft in my eyes - the ZT got the same engine without swirl flaps (as it was down-tuned) and they're pretty much 100% reliable - the 2 things BMW added to keep power up (VNT turbocharger and swirl flaps) are the achilles heel of the M47 when fitted to most BMWs of this era.
Good job lads. :p

Which autobox did they use in this model? Wondering if it's the same unit fitted to the auto diesel ZT.

Edit: And it's lived by the sea all of its life. :o

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Not just these BMWs which are rusty matty, go and look at something like a CLK or S-Class from 2001 :D

Man of Honour
Crikey, that's rusty. My 03 MG ZT doesn't have a single spot, even underneath - and that was made by Brummies! :p

The swirl flap issue was always a bit daft in my eyes - the ZT got the same engine without swirl flaps (as it was down-tuned) and they're pretty much 100% reliable - the 2 things BMW added to keep power up (VNT turbocharger and swirl flaps) are the achilles heel of the M47 when fitted to most BMWs of this era.
Good job lads. :p

Which autobox did they use in this model? Wondering if it's the same unit fitted to the auto diesel ZT.

Edit: And it's lived by the sea all of its life. :o

Wow, I had no idea the ZT had some BMW parts. Surprised you have not mentioned it in the past?

Back
Top Bottom