eBay - Have I just been a victim of a scam?

Associate
OP
Is that correct? I'm able to add postage fees to games :confused:

Okay I checked... you've got to offer free postage as your first option, you can add other postage options afterwards if you want.

From 15th June sellers listing in selected categories in Video Games, Mobile & Home Phones, Consumer Electronics, Computing, Photography, and Clothes, Shoes & Accessories will be required to offer free P&P as their first domestic postage option.

Why is eBay making this change?
Excessive P&P costs are cited as a major reason for buyers spending less on eBay. Free P&P is increasingly standard on online shopping sites, and offering the same on eBay contributes to a higher rate of successful sales. To ensure
eBay remains a dynamic marketplace, we’ll be introducing the requirement to offer free P&P for listings in selected categories (see below).

How will this benefit me?
Shoppers are more likely to buy your items if the P&P is free, as buyers are increasingly used to seeing free P&P offered while shopping online.

source

Associate
Ebay now has lots of insane rules about postage. It's a complete farce.

If it wasn't for the even more farcical buyers it wouldn't be worth selling most stuff.

To the OP - just claim through Royal Mail. I've done it before and got my money back for things that were tracked in the UK but then not in the recipient country. They'll just pay up.

Associate
Okay I checked... you've got to offer free postage as your first option, you can add other postage options afterwards if you want.

source

Another great idea from ebay. More postage options. Hmmm, as a buyer I think I'll opt for the free postage thanks.

The only reason they do this is to stop fees being dodged by people cranking up the postage to £9 and selling the game for £1.

Although what is a joke is that Paypal take a good 3.5% from the total, including postage, so ebay still get their approximate 10%. Grrr.

Caporegime
I have used Airmail and so has my dad and the items take forever to arrive. My dad had the same problem when i sent an item to Canada its took over 5weeks. I took my memory to get to ocz about 3/4 weeks after they said it would take around 5-7working days.

Royal mail air mail is appalling. If youre going to send something abroad use a courier i would recommend UPS or a similar one where you can track the item.

Surely there is some gurantee by royal mail i thinks its £30

Thats not royal mail though, afaik the 5-7 working days will be how long RM take to deliver it to said countries postal service, you're then looking at whatever country it happens to be postal service taking as long as they damn well please.

Once it lands there, its not RM doing anything, so air mail is 98% dependant on the quality of postal service on the cheap in the country you're delivering too.

Which is why things like Fedex are great, they have THEIR OWN offices in every country they deliver to so they send it to their own people who delivery quickly. Air mail is cheap as chips(in comparison) because they don't have offices anywhere else.

Associate
I am sure you have the option somewhere to only accept bids from uk bidders, in the same category that you can choose a minimum feed back necessary to bid.

This is suspicous enough and ebay should act. Why purchase so many of the same game and if the circumstances are the same, this person should have his paypal account debited instead of credited and report him for fraud to the italian authorities who could simply set up a mailbox scam like over here where the credit card companies deliver on fraudulent card purchases with the police in wait.

Suppose they haven't the resources. Who says crime doesn't pay - you can even get away with prison now if your sentence is less than a year.

Associate
I've sent some stuff off to foreign countries, but the mistake was letting him decide which postage method.

It is the sellers right to determine what postage they charge, therefore you should have said F off!, either pay for recorded delivery or don't. Then if they don't pay you can file a ticket against him, then do a second chance offer thing.

Do people really think things cost £14 to send?? its all about making abit of profit on the postage, but if the buyer wants the item they WILL pay the postage simple as.

Or if you are going to send it to europe etc, make a note of it in your description so you cover your ass.

Caporegime
First mistake: you sold an item to a buyer outside of the UK
Second mistake: you sent it unrecorded.

Never make either of those two mistakes again :)

This, you will only make this error once.

I had a similar issue with a guy who i sold a DJ console to, he said it never turned up, until i showed him otherwise.

Another key point is remove the funds from your paypal account soon as they turn up.

Associate
Postal system in Italy is a bit of a joke, A lot of ebay sellers dont ship there. I think I sent a bigish parcel there once, but tracked all the way with Parcelfarce.

Another key point is remove the funds from your paypal account soon as they turn up.

not a lot of point doing this, they just put your acount into the red, so if you ever want to use your paypal account again you have to level your balance back to 0

Last edited:
Soldato
Argh - No this is not a "good reason to never use EBay again".
It is instead a lesson learn't, but one you won't fall for again.

As has already been said, go through the "Buyers Requirements" abd use the options.
Stopping people with feedback of lower than 1 and not inside the UK is two things you should immediately do.

I tend not to sell software or games.
However if you want to be 100% safe then you need to add £4.50 to your sell price and then send the item via RM Special Delivery - this is the only way you can track your item and if you use this service you'll never lose a dispute, as long as it was actually delivered.

Soldato
I tend not to sell software or games.
However if you want to be 100% safe then you need to add £4.50 to your sell price and then send the item via RM Special Delivery

Sorry but doing this will just end up costing money as the item will most likely not sell but the listing charges still need to be paid.
Ebay opened the door to this scam on media listings when they forced sellers into putting a free p&p option.
If someone has a buy it now of £10 and yours is £14.50, which is going to sell?
It's just not the right market for selling games, movies, music anymore (in my opinion), better off selling stuff like that here on MM, at least people are honest here :D

Back
Top Bottom