ebay... it’s happened again :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Selling a laptop on Gumtree and "Harry" messages asking if it's still for sale not even 9 minutes after the ad goes live...

HarryIsABagOfDicks.png

What a gimp.

Soldato
Well this is a fine pickle I’ve got myself into!

Not heard back from buyer since my reply, I sent the CPU to a Argos/Sainsbury’s collection point which I guess further confuses the issue of buyer rejecting and cpu being returned to me? It was sent via Royal Mail 1st class signed for, and yeah I know it’s only insured for up to £50 but I figured I just need proof of it being received.

So assuming I get a message back saying “I want a refund” what will be my best move as in least costly and stressful?

It does indeed complicate things. Argos/Sainsburys will hold on to it for a very long time before returning it (I believe almost a month from experience).

Here is what you can do on return shipping. Provide this to the buyer.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/start-return/return-postage?id=4066

G J

G J

Associate
Wow this thread,why over complicate this so much as the buyer made a mistake and all he needs to do is not pick it up or return it to you at his expense as it was ordered in error.

You sold an item that sold in 1 day for £160 if the loss of money ( about £3-5) means that much to you then relist it for £165+ but only issue here is you may have to wait for another £1 listing fee day/weekend again and the wasted time.

Also you checked the prices for what people where paying in the MM, If people where paying this much in the MM why not sell it there?

Edit: just checked pricing and people where buying bundles for around £20 more on the MM

Last edited:
Associate
In my experience it doesn't matter if you send an item covered for £50 etc, Royal Mail will want to see a receipt for your initial purchase of the item and will only refund you your purchase price up to the insured value, not what you have sold it for

Soldato
From experience paypal send debt collectors after you if you have a negative balance.

They do indeed but they are nothing more than a few letters from a tin pot debt collection company that will soon give up and the debt will be written off. It will not affect credit scores or anything like that. you would have to owe them £1000s before they would take it further.

Soldato
Thank you, sounds like wise words I use BIN to cut out none paying bidders of which I used to get a lot of.

This might be a dumb question, so I say to the buyer “please return via 1st class signed for and I’ll refund you when it arrives” so does the refund happen automatically through eBay?

been ages since I’ve used and had to deal with this sort of issue
No you process the return through ebay. There is options in the seller resolution tab I believe to pay for return postage through Ebay, that way you are covered if the return gets messed up and you will get your fees back.
Once you get the item back you confirm on Ebay that sorts out all the money..

Dont do anything that's outside of ebay else you wont get fees back.

Soldato
Why are you making this so hard, accept return, Cancel transaction and relist the thing.

Your down £4.50 at most for postage, if the buyer is decent you could even ask to refund minus £4.50 so your not out of pocket even a penny.

Soldato
OP
Just got the following message through

"Good morning, the CPU has just arrived at argos. I would like to help pay the costs for delivery and Ebay costs by only taking a refund of £140. I will send it back via post office as you requested using first class.
Thank you"

I think the buyer is being pretty good here so regarding refund, do i have the option in ebay to refund him £140 or will it just refund him automatically the amount he paid £160? I would only take what I'd lose btw.

Permabanned
"Good morning, the CPU has just arrived at argos. I would like to help pay the costs for delivery and Ebay costs by only taking a refund of £140. I will send it back via post office as you requested using first class.
Thank you"

That sounds a pretty genuine mistake and they sound genuine. Get him to send the CPU back. Check serial numbers (you did save these didn't you with photos?).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Marking your listing as no returns means nowt.
What if in the royal fail system it's lost, you can only claim 50 quid.

Really I'd chance messaging him advising you will accept return as long as he covers post.

Was this set as an item price or item plus post?

What if buyer receives n says its faulty damaged in ppost

Refunding due a lost item in the post or because an item is faulty is not the same as not accepting returns.............

OP - you said no returns, don't accept a return. Let him open a case and see how it goes.

Caporegime
Accept the return. It's much less hassle. Especially if the buyer is accepting a partial refund.

You'll get all fees back. It's nonsense that you won't. I've had things like this many times and always gotten PayPal and eBay fees returned.

If you mess him about he can turn around and say 'I accepted it and it didn't work'

If he wants to really get revenge he could then damage it and send it back. You are then left with a broken cpu and down 150 quid

It will sell again, just accept the return and relist

Soldato

Thank you"

I think the buyer is being pretty good here so regarding refund, do i have the option in ebay to refund him £140 or will it just refund him automatically the amount he paid £160? I would only take what I'd lose btw.

Well unless it cost you a fortune to post why are you only refunding £140? You should only subtract your postage costs.

Soldato

Thank you"

Id make sure he sends it at least signed for because normal 1st class only covers you upto £20

Soldato
OP
Update

Buyer as messaged me to say he will be returning it Monday via 1st Class Signed for as requested and as also started a returns request with eBay stating reason for return as “doesn’t fit”

should I accept return now or wait till I get cpu back, I think the buyer is being genuine but also aware there are scammers out there!

Back
Top Bottom