• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Soldato
Glad the buyers been quiet, probably was a potential scam OR by the looks of it their "expert" told them your psu can't cope and there's nothing wrong with the gpu...

I'm always wary of selling on ebay, only ever low value items. Not had any issues buying off ebay ever but had a few weird scenarios selling but i always take a million photos of the items i sell including pics of the packaging and always a pic when im at the post office. It's the same for the things i sell and buy on here, although im more relaxed here since i've never had an issue i still take the same precautionary steps. I feel the people on here with the rights to use MM are less likely to scam since you really need to enjoy the forum to get anywhere near the post count to unlock MM. Those that argue about the post count to unlock it etc i feel usually have ulterior motives... just my own opinion unless you're you just cba or don't like spending time on forums.

Associate
Why? If you've got the cash and counted it before handing over the item its perfectly safe, the entirety of Gumtree is based on this.
Cash could be counterfeit, or they could have a couple of friends waiting to mug you after you hand over the item. RTX 3090 goes for what, at least £1.5k? Probably just as much chance losing out from a dodgy buyer with the added element of physical danger.

Soldato
Why? If you've got the cash and counted it before handing over the item its perfectly safe, the entirety of Gumtree is based on this.

Someone posted on here that he sold a 3090 and went to meet the guy in a retail car park. He took a mate with him and it turned out the buyer was going to nick it off him and do a runner. As soon as he saw the buyer had brought a mate with him he legged it. The crow bar in his hand also probably gave it away (that last but I dont know whether it happened. :) )

Associate
Cash could be counterfeit, or they could have a couple of friends waiting to mug you after you hand over the item. RTX 3090 goes for what, at least £1.5k? Probably just as much chance losing out from a dodgy buyer with the added element of physical danger.

This is what I do to protect myself 1) ask the buyer to only bring new bank notes ie no old style. 2) the item is locked in my car until they give the money and it's all checked. Never failed me.

Associate
Survivorship bias. Regular eBay auctions with delivery never failed me either, doesn't mean it can't happen.

It can't happen if you protect yourself. I don't give any opportunity for someone to take the item without handing over the money. And I do it in public. The odds are miniscule compared to receiving a return request on eBay....

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Also I add 'Notes and coins will be checked for authentication', works for me.

That's a lot of coins to check!!! :p

Soldato
Someone posted on here that he sold a 3090 and went to meet the guy in a retail car park. He took a mate with him and it turned out the buyer was going to nick it off him and do a runner. As soon as he saw the buyer had brought a mate with him he legged it. The crow bar in his hand also probably gave it away (that last but I dont know whether it happened. :) )

There's a simple solution to that - if someone wants to meet you in a retail park, don't.

Associate
This is what I do to protect myself 1) ask the buyer to only bring new bank notes ie no old style. 2) the item is locked in my car until they give the money and it's all checked. Never failed me.
With how scarce GPUs are you might as well bring a note checker (what are those called anyway)

Associate
Because the vast majority of emarket auctions are fine, you just don't see a new thread posted every time someone sells something without issue. You can usually sell for a higher price due to more competition and buyer protection. The fees are pretty low when you take advantage of the selling promotions they have every couple of weeks.

So true. I have sold near 3K worth of electronics over the past 18 months on there. CPUs GPUs, all have gone smoothly. You need luck and a bit of experience to deal with the bull$hit. I don't use auctions anymore only due to non paying bidders. Always use promotions for seller discounts.

There's a simple solution to that - if someone wants to meet you in a retail park, don't.

Yep had an offer to meet someone in a public place for a GPU somebody insisted didn't want sent to him. Wanted a cash exchange. No thanks Jeff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've sold a few expensive hardware items on Gumtree and insisted the person come to my home to see the item working before I remove it from the PC and pack it up. I just tell them it's for their own peace of mind to ensure they are not being ripped off. Only ever had one person refuse and insist we did a public meet and I just said no thanks. Even when buying expensive PC parts I insist I want to see the item working before I hand over any money.

Had a guy call me a time waster a few years back because I insisted I wanted to test a CV1 VR headset he was selling.

Soldato
Not to be a clever clogs but this is why I don't sell on the bay, Way too many scammers on that site.

I sold a GTX 680 on there ages ago, Perfect condition as I really take care of my stuff, Buyer tried to say it was faulty and wanted his money back and then he'd send the card, I had his address so decided to pay him a surprise visit as it was only 30 minutes away, Turns out the card was fine, I was very calm and collected, I merely asked for proof of said fault.

Scammers get awfully nice and apologetic in person but like to play the big man when they think they are safe behind a screen.

Last edited:
Soldato

Depends where you agree to meet surely? Car park in the back of an industrial estate at 10pm - probably want to give that a miss. Local branch of your bank - I think it's fairly safe to assume they aren't going to mug you in front of multiple witnesses and CCTV...

Back
Top Bottom