ebay thread - yeah i know but i'm not sure about it.

Soldato
I never thought i would do one of these as i'm usually good at picking up scams but:
selling something on ebay, guy made an offer so i accepted.
didn't hear anything for a couple of days, sent him a message and got one back saying sorry, didn't realise he got it. Also put a phone no. in the message.
So i rang him and he says he is over the paypal ebay limit and can't buy using it (is that a thing?)- so he suggested i text him my paypal address - he will then pay me and i can send it to him.

Now, i'm a suspicious person - can he claim the money back even if i send by courier and have evidence when it arrives?
- its still paypal but not linked to the auction. So what protection does it give me?

It kind of sounds ok, but it also sounds like a scam somehow.

He has been a member of ebay since 2013 but only has 10 feedback (all positive)

Soldato
How much is the item worth?

I thought the paypal limits were only if you were selling, so there shouldn't be a limit on his side (i.e. buying).

Personally i'd say no thanks and move along.

Caporegime
I never thought i would do one of these as i'm usually good at picking up scams but:
selling something on ebay, guy made an offer so i accepted.
didn't hear anything for a couple of days, sent him a message and got one back saying sorry, didn't realise he got it. Also put a phone no. in the message.
So i rang him and he says he is over the paypal ebay limit and can't buy using it (is that a thing?)- so he suggested i text him my paypal address - he will then pay me and i can send it to him.

Now, i'm a suspicious person - can he claim the money back even if i send by courier and have evidence when it arrives?
- its still paypal but not linked to the auction. So what protection does it give me?

It kind of sounds ok, but it also sounds like a scam somehow.

He has been a member of ebay since 2013 but only has 10 feedback (all positive)

the scam is once you send him your paypal email address. he will create an email and send it to that email address which looks like the payment has been sent. you receive the email but when you check your paypal account the money isn't there.

so it's a fake email made to look like it's from paypal saying you have received the money.

he's obviously scamming you. so we can close this thread.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
If he has sending limits then he should do whatever he has to in order to take off the limits. That's his problem not yours.

No do NOT do what he is asking.

Soldato
OP
the scam is once you send him your paypal email address. he will create an email and send it to that email address which looks like the payment has been sent. you receive the email but when you check your paypal account the money isn't there.

so it's a fake email made to look like it's from paypal saying you have received the money.

he's obviously scamming you. so we can close this thread.

he did say on the phone that he would pay and send me a screenshot of the payment - which seemed odd, since i can log into paypal and see any payment from there.

Its only £100 and i want to get rid of the item quickly, but its £100 i want

i know it sounds a bit dodgy, and i know what i need to do - maybe i just needed confirmation

Caporegime
he did say on the phone that he would pay and send me a screenshot of the payment - which seemed odd, since i can log into paypal and see any payment from there.

Its only £100 and i want to get rid of the item quickly, but its £100 i want

i know it sounds a bit dodgy, and i know what i need to do - maybe i just needed confirmation

exactly he's praying on morons. you will get an email saying it's been paid from his fake paypal address which looks like it's from official paypal. he will send you screenshots proving he's paid. then you send the item. 2 weeks later you check your account and no money ever been in there.

it's a well known scam.

Soldato
exactly he's praying on morons. you will get an email saying it's been paid from his fake paypal address which looks like it's from official paypal. he will send you screenshots proving he's paid. then you send the item. 2 weeks later you check your account and no money ever been in there.

it's a well known scam.

I don't see how anybody would fall for this though - because surely you'd check your Paypal balance and process the withdrawal before shipping? So you'd see it wasn't there and not send the item.

Associate
Always trust your hunch. If its unusual, walk away. Plenty of people out there willing to do things without any of this fuss so don't waste your time with it.

Caporegime
I don't see how anybody would fall for this though - because surely you'd check your Paypal balance and process the withdrawal before shipping? So you'd see it wasn't there and not send the item.

imagine you are selling 20 items on ebay you are getting constant emails, etc. then you get one saying this item has been paid for and it's now time to ship it, etc. you could easily be duped into thinking its been paid for.

obviously this guy has made it obvious by contacting him. he should have just sent the dodgy emails and invoices saying it's been paid to him. i'm sure ebay gives you the persons paypal address when you go through to the payment section. so he should have used that. obviously he's a bit of a moron himself as he doesn't know how to do the scam properly.

Soldato
He is over this PayPal limit but wants to pay you via PayPal outside of eBay?
Literally this is all I would need to know to be telling them to do one and reporting him/her/it.

I sold something to a guy yesterday who said bank transfers can also be reversed if you call the bank within 24hours... Any truth in that? Always gets suggested as the "safe" option in these threads.

Soldato
OP
He is over this PayPal limit but wants to pay you via PayPal outside of eBay?

yeah it was a bit odd - he talked very quick and brushed over it before i could really question him.

Anyhoo, talked to ebay, reported the guy and also started a late payment thing, but it has to be 4 days before i can cancel and re-list.
Irritating.

I sold something to a guy yesterday who said bank transfers can also be reversed if you call the bank within 24hours... Any truth in that? Always gets suggested as the "safe" option in these threads.
i'm pretty sure thats not true

Back
Top Bottom