EE broadband

Associate
can anyone help me to restrict my ee broadband hub 2 to stop games being played i have no knowledge on routers i need to know how to stop
my nephew from playing games but still allowing web access to general browsing and youtube. what do i need to do

many thanks for any help

Associate
OP
my nephew just plays games on his pc i want to block online gaming but allow him to do research for his exams and need to block steam and all online games

Soldato
I've no idea of that router but I doubt it's going to have the features to be able to implement this.

In principle I think that the best you could do is to restrict the MAC address of his computer to be able to use port 80 and 443 only, but you're going to need a router that supports this.

Associate
my nephew just plays games on his pc i want to block online gaming but allow him to do research for his exams and need to block steam and all online games

You can do this with a Draytek 2860 router but it's £300 for the router and web filtering licence. Its also complicated to setup for a novice.

Associate
You don't need to spent £300 on a router for the features, there are routers a lot cheaper that can do this. You could block steam and/or other gaming services on the computer and the router.

Associate
So it looks like you can block ports on the EE router for specific IP address on your network, so you can either just block his laptop or if no one else uses Steam you can block all devices from steam, this would be easier.

1. Open the Bright Box router's admin pages and navigate to the Firewall menu
  2. Select Access Control

BrightBox1_126.png

3. Select Add Device Filtering Rule

BrightBox1_126a.png

4. Enter a Rule Description - example Block Steam
  5. In the Client Device IP Address field, enter the IP address of the computer or device you wish to block from viewing web pages. If you enter 192.168.1.2 ~ 254 in these boxes it will block all devices.
  6. Under "User Defined Service" no 1 select UDP and enter port numbers 27000 ~ 27037
  7. In the Scheduling Rule menu, select Always Blocking
  8. Click SAVE SETTINGS to apply the rule
  9. Select to Enable the Filtering function and select SAVE SETTINGS
  10. The new access control rule will be saved
  11. You can select to Edit, or Delete your rule at any time, for example if you wish to restore access, or add more users to the list
The above should block all steam on all devices on your network, if you only want to block 1 device you will need to ip address and only block this in step 5.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Also might want to use static dhcp so that he always has the same ip for you to use in the rule.

Soldato
also you want to make sure you give static IP to any devices he has that can connect to the network and block ports on those devices also as you can bridge connections to a PC with the mobile connected to the wifi etc.

Associate
You don't need WCF to block ports, you can simply set up firewall rules to do it. Not a job for a novice though. If it's just ADSL a second hand 2820/2830 would do the job too.

No but it might be possible to block Steam directly if its on the Draytek APPE list. But yes a cheap 2820 would also do the job nicely for an ADSL connection. Should be able to buy one for peanuts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom