EK Momentum Waterblock Voltage Issue?

Associate
Hi all - anyone here heard of voltage issues with the Asus aura headers and EK water blocks? I've finished my custom loop with all EK gear for Asus ROG XI Maximus Hero, and 2080Ti and used the water blocks for the board and GPU. Temps are good, and no leaks but the lighting isn't working on the Momentum block for the mobo & CPU. It was flashing a bit red or blue to start with but now won't work at all.

Everything is good with the GPU block so I swapped the GPU block over to that header and it worked just fine. Unplugged everything from Aura except the CPU/Mobo block and it still doesn't work. Even completely wiped the system and installed aura again (which is recognising the block but it just won't do anything).

I raised a support ticket with EK but they say I should just contact Asus as it's a voltage issue (and update the bios which was done already), but I can't believe as the other block works fine in that header.... any thoughts or are they just trying to pass the blame for a block with faulty lighting?

Associate
OP
I just realised I had it plugged into the 12v header instead of 5v as it was supposed to be :( So it probably wasn't faulty when it arrived.... but it is now because of me. It would be better if the connector had the unused pin blocked off to stop this happening. Also, the manual showed it being connected to the 12v connector on the diagram (although it did say use the 5v one in the text) but just in case anyone else makes this mistake I thought I'd say what happened...

Associate
If their installation manual is wrong EK may RMA the block for you. I had a NZXT AIO RMAed because their instructions didn't say to use a washer in push configuration and I ended up putting a bolt a few mm into the fins.

Associate
OP
Yeah you're right it does state to use the 5v in the text next to the picture... I think I just got too excited when I was putting it together and just looked at the picture (in which they're the other way round). I admitted it to EK and they said they can ship me a new D-RGP strip for it (I need to pay shipping and part cost), so I think I'll go for that.

Back
Top Bottom