El Cheapo HTPC

Associate
Hi guys, I've got a 7870 and 8GB DDR3 kicking about, how do I best go about turning this into a cheap, quiet, gaming capable HTPC, I haven't any desire to overclock. I can salvage a 1TB drive from another machine too. but will need everything else. Excluding the telly.

Cheers :cool:

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, love that Silverstone case in the second build!

I think I'll leave out the SSD until I upgrade the one in my main rig Does the i3 draw a lot less power than a phenom II x2? I only ask because I had this card in a machine with an x2 545 and a 500w PSU which couldn't cope.

Thanks again :)

Soldato
Cheers guys, love that Silverstone case in the second build!

I think I'll leave out the SSD until I upgrade the one in my main rig Does the i3 draw a lot less power than a phenom II x2? I only ask because I had this card in a machine with an x2 545 and a 500w PSU which couldn't cope.

Thanks again :)

The XFX should cope with the spec and a 7870. The i3 only uses 77W.
What 500W Psu were you using?

Associate
OP
God knows, not the cheapest but not a name brand, think it was about £25. Probably a pretty glaring reason, eh? Chugs along fine with the 5770 in there at the moment though. Still complete overkill for what that PC is being used for!

Soldato
God knows, not the cheapest but not a name brand, think it was about £25. Probably a pretty glaring reason, eh? Chugs along fine with the 5770 in there at the moment though. Still complete overkill for what that PC is being used for!

You could up grade the Psu. You could also get a Z77 mobo, if you want to get an i5 at a later date.
Did you need a network card?

Associate
OP
Nah, that PC is just an office machine - 545, 4GB RAM. I only used a discreet GPU in there as the mobo doesn't have onboard gfx.

For the HTPC, is there a benefit other than O/Cing with the z77 chipset?

I don't need a network card, I've got a surplus of wifi dongles at the moment since buying a card for my main rig.

Back
Top Bottom