Electric bill since working from home

Soldato
To anyone who has been working at home full time since lockdown, have you noticed an increase in your electric usage? Is your company compensating / providing a WFH electric allowance

I have just received this months bill from Bulb and its £154.01
865 [email protected] (day rate) - £130.61
[email protected] (night rate) - £9.82
standing charge £6.25
5% VAT £7.33

34 kWh/day (£5.31) last year it was 11kWh/day which is about right as it was ~£50 a month last. So it's 3 times higher than usual

Electric only 2 bed flat with 2 people sharing, no heating on at the moment other than hot water/showers

Soldato
This has been raised several times on the weekly townhalls we have at my place.

Company line is very much 'you're saving on commuting costs, do one' - which I think is pretty fair for most of us, less so for those that would usually walk into the office.

Man of Honour
14, 24 and 23kWh above last year for the last 3 months of use, gas also up around 30% in the same period.

I'm saving almost £300 a month not commuting/eating lunch at home so I'm not fussed about an extra few £££ on utilities.

Soldato
I've not approached the company about our increased electrical use - both me and my wife are currently home working.
However, I'm saving a car journey to and from work everyday, my wife is not having to buy weekly bus tickets.
I'm getting an extra half an hour in the morning of personal time and I'm finishing work dead on 5:00pm.
So personally I feel it's probably about even in the profit/loss graph.

Caporegime
I think mines been mitigated by the saving that 'outfoxthemarket' offered us when this all started:

100% UK WIND ELECTRICITY.

WORKING TOGETHER.

We are all facing uncertainties in the current situation and we feel it is important to do as much as we can for our customers.

REDUCING THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR YOUR ENERGY.

With this in mind, from 10/04/2020 we are reducing what you pay for your gas and electricity. You will be moved to our new One Green Flex 2.0 tariff, our cheapest variable tariff. We hope that this provides one less worry for you in this difficult time.

Please note: The terms and conditions of your new tariff are the same as the tariff we are moving you from.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU?

You can find full and comprehensive details of your new tariff attached.

IN BRIEF

• Your electricity standing charge is decreasing from 21.00000p to 13.23966p
• Your electricity unit price is decreasing from 13.06305p to 13.06295p
• Your gas standing charge is decreasing from 25.79955p to 11.31890p
• Your gas unit price is decreasing from 3.45795p to 2.53890p

Based on your current usage, you will pay approximately £143.20 less a year.

WILL YOUR DIRECT DEBIT CHANGE?
Yes! Your monthly Direct Debit payment of £76.27 will reduce to £62.91. (You will receive a separate notification confirming this).

I thought that was pretty good of them, since I didn't even have to ask for the saving.

Soldato
OP
You running the shower all day on the hottest setting or something?
Wish I was, i would know where the money was going then.

Maybe its all the COD i've been playing on a 2080Ti. It kicks out a fair amount of heat so guess it's using a fair amount of electric. Usually play for an hour or 2 in the evening

Soldato
Wish I was, i would know where the money was going then.

Maybe its all the COD i've been playing on a 2080Ti. It kicks out a fair amount of heat so guess it's using a fair amount of electric. Usually play for an hour or 2 in the evening

Just seems a huge increase from 11kWh to 34kWh. As you've said no heating ,and less light as lighter nights too. No way is your PC using more than 1kWh, unless it is broke or you or running something Intel overclocked. :p

Man of Honour
Ours has doubled with me, the mrs and the little one now at home all day. Us 2 WFH and the tv/laptop on to keep the child amused.

Haven't raised it with work as technically our office has actually been open more since lock down and therefore it's a personal choice not to be in there, it's also saving me £300ish in fuel and meaning I'll probably not have to have the car serviced twice this year so that's another £xxx saved/offset until next year.

Soldato
To anyone who has been working at home full time since lockdown, have you noticed an increase in your electric usage? Is your company compensating / providing a WFH electric allowance

I have just received this months bill from Bulb and its £154.01
865 [email protected] (day rate) - £130.61
[email protected] (night rate) - £9.82
standing charge £6.25
5% VAT £7.33

34 kWh/day (£5.31) last year it was 11kWh/day which is about right as it was ~£50 a month last. So it's 3 times higher than usual

Electric only 2 bed flat with 2 people sharing, no heating on at the moment other than hot water/showers

I assume that's economy 7 with the day/night rates? But even so that day rate isn't much higher than those on normal tarifs.

What exactly do you have running as part of your WFH setup? A laptop and a monitor running 8-10 hours a day for 5 days a week would not come anywhere near those costs.

Back
Top Bottom