"Electric Pushbike" that looks like a Moped

Man of Honour
I pulled into the Motorcycle parking bay in Central Reading the other day, and was greeted with the following engineering marvel,

q1fmWGgl.jpg

http://www.dayun.co.uk/dayun-electric-tandem-bike/

As you can imagine, the lack of number plate caught my eye, as did the bike pedals poking out of the side - so I did a little searching.

Turns out these are classified as "Assisted Tandem Pushbikes" and limited to 15.5 Mph, with power only available under 15.5 MPH - much like a regular electrically assisted push-bike (that looks like a regular cycle)

I can't help but think these are a really daft idea, if not only because I assume you would spend more time talking to Policeman Plod than actually riding the thing. Not to mention the way traffic will treat what they see as a "very slow moped".

Has anyone here owned one, seen one used etc ? I am genuinely curious if there is anyone out there that thinks this is a good idea? Because to me its just a silly stretching of regulations. I am all for electrically assisted push bikes, but making it look like a moped just takes the biscuit.

Edit: Also, its a thousand pounds ?!?!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
don't see the issue,, infact they are a good idea, just like electric push bikes. Super cheap, super cheap to run and if you live in a city is all you need.

Soldato
They're fine as electric pushbikes, buy why do they look like a moped? You'll just get endless people telling you your number plate has fallen off, or coppers pulling you over because you're on a moped with no numberplate/licence etc.

Next thing there'll be an electric pushbike that looks like a KTM RC125/any other 'sports' 125.

Apparently they get away with a 58kg weight as it's a 'tandem' :rolleyes:

Edit: not to mention, it's a bicycle so no helmet required.

Last edited:
Associate
These are great, bought our daughter one a few years ago and she did get pulled over by plod for a couple of weeks untill they got used to having it around.
She used it for collage and her first job.
very good imo

Soldato
Nothing against them, but the rider should be insured and have to wear a helmet.

Despite the regulations/specifications that an e-cycle must fit into, these things are more moped than they are pedal cycle.

Associate
Nothing against them, but the rider should be insured and have to wear a helmet.

Despite the regulations/specifications that an e-cycle must fit into, these things are more moped than they are pedal cycle.

Your right on helmet my daughter did
but they are not a moped only look like one.
If you had one you would understand, not the quickest things around and 15mph ;)

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I saw a girl on something liks this
7f694a0abf471817a22675457bfc1c6a.png
riding without a helmet on the street...

Man of Honour
no different to people riding without a helmet on a push bike.
would be stupid to apply the law only to these and not push bikes in general.

Soldato
Your right on helmet my daughter did
but they are not a moped only look like one.
If you had one you would understand, not the quickest things around and 15mph ;)

The only difference between these things and a 50cc moped is that one has a petrol engine and can do 31mph, the other is electric and can only do 15mph.

Anyone who cycles will know that hitting 30mph isn't that hard on a normal road bike/mountain bike. These mopeds can do over 15mph, it's just that the motor cannot power it over that speed.

To all intents and purposes, it's a (slow) electric moped. looks like a moped. has lights/horn/indicators, even a friggin' top box!!

Essentially they're using a loophole by classing it at a tandem which allows it to be 50w more powerful and weigh more than a normal electric bicycle. It's not a tandem, now is it...

Ride it on the road and you'll get no end of grief from motorists, peds walking out in front of you, coppers and so-on, because at first, and second glance, it's a moped.

I've got nothing again electric bicycles, but not when they're trying to imitate a motorbike.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
40mph on a roadie isn't a problem, I've hit 41mph according to the GPS app that tracked my routes before. I didn't wear a helmet, but if I was to get the road bike out and ride again longer distances I'll probably get a helmet. :p

Soldato
Weirdly, I have nothing against bikes like this (obviously they're not legal over here):

Yes, it'll do 70+ kph (45mph!) but it's a mountain bike, not a moped in appearance.

As IC3 has said, hitting 30-40mph on a pushbike isn't hard.

It's not what the thing can do that matters, it's what it's purporting to be. They could have designed it to be any shape at all, yet they've purposely designed it to look exactly like a 50cc moped/125cc scooter.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
At Tour De France they hit speeds of 60mph+ (100-110kmh), I would have to check what the highest speed recorded. Apparently 'Swiss cyclist Fabian Cancellara hit over 131kph', but that's a different level. I wouldn't be able to hit 50mph, I don't think... I never really tried as its exhausting going so quickly. :p

There's an electric bike that hits something like 70mph, but its really expensive and only sold in the US I think. One of my mates is more into cycling than I am, I would have to ask him what push bike that was. I remember it looked like a mountain bike the ones used for downhill.

Soldato
I can see taskmaster buying one just to filter on:p
Nah, if I had that kind of money to waste, I'd get a watercooled Titan X first!! :p

don't see the issue,, infact they are a good idea, just like electric push bikes.
The problem is when people take it on the IDR, because they think it *is* a moped...
One of the lab girls here at work had one - She ditched it because the motor isn't fast enough for straight riding down the A33, but the pedals are awkward to use compared to a normal bicycle.

Soldato
b girls here at work had one - She ditched it because the motor isn't fast enough for straight riding down the A33, but the pedals are awkward to use compared to a normal bicycle.

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them, it combines the worst aspects of a moped and a bicycle. Very heavy compared to a push bike, so you wouldn't want to pedal it far if the battery was dead, yet probably slower than a reasonably fit person on a push bike.

Man of Honour
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them, it combines the worst aspects of a moped and a bicycle. Very heavy compared to a push bike, so you wouldn't want to pedal it far if the battery was dead, yet probably slower than a reasonably fit person on a push bike.

you would never pedal it, you know the range and would stay within it.
it's not all the worse features either. its comfier and easier. as well as more storage and secure. can easily see why people would want these.

Back
Top Bottom