Electrical lighting advice

Associate
A previous owner of our house had spotlights installed in the wall running up the stairs. They are controlled by a fused switch at the bottom of the stairs.

What is the best way to connect these to a smart home network? I was going to buy a normal smart wifi switch until I realised the existing one was fused. I cant seem to find a fused smart switch compatible with amazon echos online.

I think the lights are spurred off an existing power socket, if i turn the light circuit off in the CU i can still turn the lights on over the stairs.

TIA

Soldato
Your best way to make these smart would be to replace the bulbs with smart capable ones.

If they're spotlights, they're likely to be GU10s. Swap them out and voila.

Soldato
I guess you could replace the spur with an un-switched one, then install the smart switch directly adjacent to the old spur. So have incoming 240v to the spur, then output of spur to smart switch, then switched side of that to lights. If the wall isn't plasterboard you'd need an sds and chisel to fit the new switch (being careful of existing wires!) then a couple of wago connectors to extend light switch to the light wires.

Soldato
You can get a mini sonoff that still allows the use of the switch and can be controlled ether by ALexa or Google Home, usually about £12 for 2 from amazon.

Associate
OP
Cheers gents.
The bulbs are G9's and I cant find Smart versions for the life of me!

The Sonoff mini looks perfect. I've just ordered a dual set so will report back and let you know how I get on!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Whilst the sonoff mini worked as expected, I am unable to fit them into behind the switch. Despite its tiny size, it's still too big so I've returned it.

Back
Top Bottom