Electricity Bill Madness

Associate
We have just recieved a 6month bill for over £460, and I'm sure this can't be right.

3months of the bill value at £62 and the second 3months the rest, with the meter saying we've used over 5,000KWh of electricity. This surely cannot be right can it?

Anyone know a site to check power usage

Associate
Was it an estimated bill? Rather than look for a website to check power usage, how about checking the electricity meter in your house and taking a reading, see if it matches whats on the bill.

Associate
OP
Wallace said:
Was it an estimated bill? Rather than look for a website to check power usage, how about checking the electricity meter in your house and taking a reading, see if it matches whats on the bill.

They estimated in 0ctober 11,111 (odd I know), and now (as when they read it), its nearly 16,000.

Checking the web, a medium sized house uses 3,300kWh a year!

Man of Honour
how many of you live there ect?
we use £50 a month between two of us and we have gas heating.

have you got a previouse bill? or did you check the electricity when you moved in?

if you know what the KWh was on when you moved in or old bill it's easy to check. Also make sure that its on roughly 16000 now. They might of read it wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
AcidHell2 said:
how many of you live there ect?
we use £50 a month between two of us and we have gas heating.

have you got a previouse bill? or did you check the electricity when you moved in?

if you know what the KWh was on when you moved in or old bill it's easy to check. Also make sure that its on roughly 16000 know. They might of read it wrong.

4 of us live here, and bills are usually about 60-70 for electricity.

And good thinking, I'm sure we checked the meters and reported them, but will need to look where we put the figures

Man of Honour
I would say it's right, that only works out at £76 a month and if a few of you use computers and hence more likely to have big tv's and stereos. That's not a bad bill.

Permabanned
We have just had our combined electric and gas bill from Scottish Power Manweb.

The grand total of £446 for the quarter.

We have never had a bill in the past 12 months over £300 that includes this quarter last year!

Don
as said it's probably about right, the difference to the 2 quarters will be an estimated reading followed by the correction due to an actual reading

Man of Honour
Slinwagh said:
We have just had our combined electric and gas bill from Scottish Power Manweb.

The grand total of £446 for the quarter.

We have never had a bill in the past 12 months over £300 that includes this quarter last year!

That bills 6 months not a quarter though.

Soldato
To the OP, with the numbers you quoted 28kWh/day isn't that big a stretch, especially if your heating is electric. Factor in the dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, TV, lighting, PCs etc. all adds up.

Permabanned
AcidHell2 said:
I would say it's right, that only works out at £76 a month and if a few of you use computers and hence more likely to have big tv's and stereos. That's not a bad bill.
Yep, I live on my own and am currently paying £40/month for elec and I have gas for heating. In fact if anything its a bit on the low side.

Soldato
I pay £32 a month DD for mine and we have gas heating, and they always send me letters each month that I am in credit etc etc.
There are 2 of us living here with 2 pcs etc, but I personally am always turning lights off where necessary, dont leave things on standby, have efficient light bulbs etc.

All your posts make me think I may be getting undercharged :o

Associate
We're paying out around £100 a month! Even more than that recently! :eek: , that's with Gas Heating AND cooker, but with Electric Shower.

Good thing there's 6 people to split it with.....

Soldato
hmmm we're a flat of 3, all with our own pcs and quarterly it comes to £160 for elec and £40 for gas so around £22 each per month in total. (~£18/month each for electricity)

thinking about it, thats not too bad at all - £5.50 a week for electricity and gas :)

Soldato
The National average is 3,900 kWh pa. It sjust sounds like the October reading was way underestimated, but to be on the safe side. What you should do is a 7 day meter test. Take a reading the same time every day for 7 days. If the consumption is ridiculously high over that period contact your supplier as your meter might be faulty.

Back
Top Bottom