Electronic question - running mains air pump of battery

Associate
OK so basically, I have an aquarium air pump and it runs off the mains, but it uses so little power I was wondering could it run off a battery?

Using one of those plug in electricity cost monitors I can see it is using 6W, 240V and 0.026A

If you could, what sort of batteries would it need and how long do you reckon they'd last? (running 24/7)

Last edited:
Soldato
If it uses so little power then why bother? Doesn't make much sense to me doing what you're thinking of doing, I bet batteries will actually cost more and also be much more unreliable, I don't see what you hope to achieve by trying to get battery power?

RJC

RJC

Don
The pump motor would be wound for 240v volt A/C mains, putting a battery on the pump would do nothing, but you should be able to use a inverter.

Associate
Suppose you had a car battery. One for my car will keep going for 44Ah (Amp hours) at 12V. This works out to be 44*12 = 528Wh (Watt hours). Now, your 6W heater would therefore last for 528/6 = 88 hours = 3 days 16 hours.

What you'd need to do would be to hook up a 20:1 step-up transformer to your battery to transform the 12V it is rated at to the 240V necessary to power the pump. An inverter would do the job nicely.

Back
Top Bottom