The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
All social media companies should be doing is following the laws of the land.

I liked the tweets Jack Dorsey as made recently, referring back to the old days of the Internet when things weren't as centralised. That's where we need to be heading back to.

They supressed it because they didn't want to spread potentially hacked materials like they did in 2016 with Russian hacked documents from the DNC. You can see why they did it.

Twitter have got a legal exemption for just this situation. If the material at face value isn't illegal then Twitter didn't need to pre-emptively do anything.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Think Mr Musk doesn't understand how social media works and their business model. This isn't a company where you have a product and a consumer and its a simple transactional relationship. Twitter feels like a bit of an equilibrium at the moment where its a cesspit but its gradually become that and people have found their place in it.

I fear that changing anything too much will offend the delicate sensibilities of one side or the other and one or both will throw their toys out of the pram and twitter will tank.

Associate
Not entirely sure how he's going to get any kind of roi on this. I imagine a big cost cutting exercise a lot of fluff about web3 and blockchain and nothing ever delivered.

Commissario
The idea that normal humans are going to flock to hand over their personal details to a company owned by a tech bro is a bit funny, especially given Twitter's current authentication for people whanting to verify their accounts is an utter shambles without enough staffing and extremely inconsistent.
I've seen actors who have got dozens/hundreds of credits on IMDB, their own website, and their name in press releases from major distributors/cinema chains, and in the press for interviews etc denied because they not "public enough" or something (despite them ticking every box twitter has for authentication).

It'll also be rather funny if his announced clamp down on bots hurts the follower numbers of certain right leaning individuals disproportionately (as IIRC did when it's happened in the past).

Caporegime
I enjoy Musk's utter disregard for everyone apart from himself and even though he probably schooled at the other place he seems quite the smart chap. All that to one side though, the crowd he seems to attract is a bit odd. He's the super wealthy excuse to say the quiet bits out loud, no?

Soldato
FRNdAMSXEAAIN9R

Soldato
Didn't musk call that rescue diver a pedo guy on twitter?

Yup, and if you watch the Disney+ documentary "The Rescue", you will see as much as I did what a gross thing it was to say given the courage of those men and the fact it was utterly baseless. I can never respect Musk because of that, despite all the amazing things SpaceX have done recently.

Associate
I don't engage in twitter or most forms of social media other then say YouTube. If Elon becoming the owner ****** off this self righteous pseudo I am victim indignation mob like mentality then all I can say is it's a great result.

Soldato
Think Mr Musk doesn't understand how social media works and their business model. This isn't a company where you have a product and a consumer and its a simple transactional relationship. Twitter feels like a bit of an equilibrium at the moment where its a cesspit but its gradually become that and people have found their place in it.

I fear that changing anything too much will offend the delicate sensibilities of one side or the other and one or both will throw their toys out of the pram and twitter will tank.

Yeh i also wondered this, social media is a bit like fashion in that it can change like the weather or season. Remember Bebo tanked almost overnight, AOL bought Bebo for $850M in March 08 and in April 10 it said it was going to shut down or sell it, one of the worst deals ever made.

Twitter need to start building datacentres and physical internet asap.

Soldato
Twitter have got a legal exemption for just this situation. If the material at face value isn't illegal then Twitter didn't need to pre-emptively do anything.

It had nothing to do with their legal standing. It had to do with their platform being used to swing an election with potentially hacked documents again. Facebook were far more culpable in 2016 than Twitter but neither company wanted to be seen to be used like that again. Considering even 19 months later we still have no ideas how much of that story is even true IMO they did the right thing. No major news org would touch it, even Fox News wouldn't IIRC.

Caporegime
It's still only the case that a fraction of emails have been validated.

That there's some ancient pictures on there of Hunter Biden doing drugs, when people already know he had a drug problem isn't relevant, particularly in relation to his father's election campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom