The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Free Speech isn't dangerous, but censoring one side of the argument is, and that's what's been going on for years and still and most popular platforms. From the left wing perspective Twitter probably appears to support free speech.

Still plenty of right-wing voices on Twitter and on numerous other platforms with millions of viewers... it's also for the most part only censorship if the state itself is involved.

Twitter removing someone when they've abused their platform for which they have zero right to is an entirely justifiable act, it neither stops them from seeking other platforms or investing in new ones which is what is meant to happen in our supposedly capitalistic society.

Permabanned
Is right wing a bad thing? For me there are good and bad policies from both spectrums and I don't sign up to either mentality...Compromise is the way forward and the way it should always be. Not this I want it all my way and if I don't get it my way you're a Nazi :p

Define abuse of a platform from your perspective? Just disagreeing and giving another view is abuse?

I agree posting propaganda is abuse but both sides are guilty of that, just one is allowed the other isn't.

Caporegime
Elon does appear to actually care about free speech, it's something he's spoken about before. He doesn't appear to be doing this to make money, he's already got plenty and the companies he owns are massively successful. But, if there is money to be made here, he'll find a way.... You would be crazy to not back him at this point.

It has nothing to do with free speach,. He just wants more power, more influence, and not run the risk of upsetting the SEC etc.

Likely he wants to make a run for president.

V F

V F

Soldato
Is right wing a bad thing? For me there are good and bad policies from both spectrums and I don't sign up to either mentality...Compromise is the way forward and the way it should always be. Not this I want it all my way and if I don't get it my way you're a Nazi :p

What's right wing though? Some people see right/extreme right as faithful to your wife, shopping while your wife maybe working and doing things to help her, believe in pro marriage, pro life, no abortion, traditional marriage you know the way how normality used to be in the 80s and 90s.

Permabanned

Most people fall somewhere in the centre, I used to vote Labour so I don't disagree with all their polices. More so the ideologies being pushed by the left which have got a lot more extreme in recent years, largely influenced by politics from the US.

Permabanned
It has nothing to do with free speach,. He just wants more power, more influence, and not run the risk of upsetting the SEC etc.

Likely he wants to make a run for president.

Power to do what though? Elon wasn't born in the US, so that rules him out from ever running for President.

He's already the worlds Richest man with huge amounts of influence and power that come from that, why assume he has an ulterior motive?

Permabanned
what do you mean? I've only signed up while i've been reading about Elon and this discussion was linked on google. I found it amusing so I signed up to join in.
Is this a saying the wrong thing so I'm the enemy or what gives?

Soldato
If everyone agrees Twitter is a cesspool then why all the 'concern' about Musk?

He's a complete con artist and muppet IMO (Thunderfoot's debunking videos are a bit OTT but mainly quite indisputable) but I guess from my perspective he probably will be better for twitter, either be more transparent (which in and of itself will allay any bias fears) or the progressive cancellers will all bugger off..

Personally, I'd just like it if we got to know what happens under the hood, as depending on perspective it's either a left wing progressive haven with the associated agenda/bias or it's all hot air..

I personally see Facebook/Twitter et al as being too much of a public square and really should be far more transparent and not ban anyone unless asked to by authorities for legal reasons etc, so on the surface Musk might bring that.

It might be uncomfortable, but surely it's better to fight people like Trump with facts, show them up on a widely read public forum such as twitter..

Unless of course you don't have facts and basically want to shut people down based on feels..

Soldato
Maybe Musk buying twitter might make some people who would say "its a private company they can do what they want", or another favourite classic "go start your own social media company" wake up and realise that when setting the rules of conduct, we all have to agree. Instead of gloating because a big business happens to be supporting your view at that time. This should be a realisation that companies can change their stance and all those powers to kick off those nasty hateful people might be used against you one day.

Permabanned
Free Speech isn't dangerous, but censoring one side of the argument is, and that's what's been going on for years and still and most popular platforms. From the left wing perspective Twitter probably appears to support free speech.

He never incited violence, only to peacefully protest. Nowhere did he incite violence, which is exactly why they failed to impeach him... twice.

It was a perfect storm, huge amounts of protesters, barely any security and a few instigators from Antifa to cause trouble...

It's these kind of lies that are dangerous. USA is now an ungovernable cess pool because of these lies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom